Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Dec 2007 at 12:49 AM
Default Animations in Blender? Oo
Okay, so it appears to me that there are a lot of tutorials concerning the use of milkshape out there, but whatever happened to Blender? To be honest I have tried both before (only the trial for Milkshape, though) and feel that Blender is easier to use and more user friendly although at the time I didn't require advanced controls and settings and, quite frankly still don't need them.

Really, I'm just posting this to ask for a link to a tutorial and/or plugin to use for Blender, since I find it more convenient.

Reasons I Like Blender (Short):

- Easy to Use

- Free

I have had past experiences with custom meshes and clothing and have whizzed through them without too much of a struggle (Sadly, I'm keeping these creations to myself for I feel they are not "up-to-par" with the other designs out there , but no matter).

If you send me something I will be more than happy to give it a try (I won't give it a shot and give up if it doesn't work).

Thank You
Advertisement
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th Dec 2007 at 12:52 AM
Nice list

You can certainly use Blender for static (not animated) meshes, as you've probably already gathered. There is some limited ability to work with animated meshes, but it is really quite limited.

As far as new animations, I'm afraid there's not a lot of good news on the blender front. We don't have many blender users in the community, and of those very few are very technically inclined. As such, no one has written any plugins for Blender to allow the import or export of animations. The only way I can see it working is if Blender can export to a format which can be read by another application which can export ANIM files...?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Dec 2007 at 1:31 AM
O wow... fast reply.

Yeah, seems like a lot to look up. Right now, I'm waiting for a reply from a friend to use the milkshape on his computer. Of course, this won't be a permanent fix, but it will get me through my more recent project ideas.

Looks like I'll just have to keep searching for a more-long term solution.

Thanks for the quick reply and Happy Holidays!
Instructor
#4 Old 20th Jan 2008 at 4:22 PM
I agree with techninja about the reasons that make blender a great programme and so I'm very unhappy to hear that blender is not good for animations .
I think that youre right Echo that we don't have many blender users here at MTS2 but as she wrote the Blender-Tutorial I think tht lethe is one of them. I also think that shes quite experienced and she also made those "twinklies" that are animated. Is it perhaps possible to do animations? I really hope it, Blender is really a wonderful programme...
Field Researcher
#5 Old 20th Jan 2008 at 5:45 PM
There is a plugin to allow blender to import and export smd files
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=246658
This plugin should allow to import/export mesh with working bones.......to create animated objects and bodymeshes. (No blends, only joints)

If you like my creations, you may consider to make a little donation to support my site and my modding activity.
MaryLou's Sims 2 World - MaryLou Sims 2 Forum (Italiano)
Instructor
#6 Old 20th Jan 2008 at 7:31 PM
Oh wow that's amazing! Thanks for your quick reply, MaryLou! I will try to make some animations but it's really not easy . I think we don't have Blender animation tutorials at MTS2...