Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Apr 2024 at 3:45 AM Last edited by katalina522 : 23rd Apr 2024 at 4:00 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage
Default Testing for CC error appears to have broken my neighborhood?
for context: Mac user with Super Collection and file limit modded properly. No access to HCDU/SimPE

Did a complete, clean reinstall of the game two days ago after deleting problem CC that I thought I had identified from the last time I used the game heavily. Errors at that point included: every hood image showing up as the green grid after you initially loaded a neighborhood and went back to the menu screen, and every inhabited neighborhood showing up as having no lots and no sims after you changed neighborhoods. If you could get sims to load on the first startup, they were all in aspiration failure.

I built an inhabited neighborhood to test things and gradually added back camera and gameplay mods, clothing, objects, etc. I was up to the point where I had basically everything back in the Downloads folder, except for the one item that I had suspected of causing the errors.

I played a lot for a couple of hours yesterday, gameplay was normal, CC worked fine (no jump bugs, etc.). Saved and exited the lot, noticed that it was showing up weirdly — as if it was Build-Only, even though it still had a family name on it. Everything else seemed fine, so I quit the game.

Came back today to discover the family(1 adult + 2 dogs) had been kicked to the Sim bin with their original $20k and the lot was acting like it was uninhabited. Visited the lot in build mode and all of the items on it had reset like they were never touched.

Made a new, completely empty lot and moved the family there. Gameplay ran normally, but after I saved and exited the lot, I was seeing the green grids for neighborhood images again. After quitting and relaunching the game, my inhabited neighborhood looked blank like there were zero lots, and it did not show any sims in the bin or elsewhere.

So, obviously there was still buggy CC. Did 50/50 method, with some bonus help of flagging any CC folders that were updated since I last played.

Got the vast majority of items back in with no problems. All that’s left are four sets from a folder of Sun&Moon Crafting Stations. At this point I am suspecting one of them because many had updates to controller items the last time I played for more than a couple of hours, plus those are often modded for UC and not always backwards compatible.

I try two of the sets that I had used in my game for years with no issues and … the error in the picture happened. The game borked and flagged the dogs as humans. Turned on testingcheats, I am getting object/reset errors left and right.

Never had this happen before and it is absolutely hilarious, BUT— nothing is fixing it. I have now removed all the CC, and instead of solving the problem, the dogs have just continued walking around on two legs gossiping to their owner about each other.

Not sure how to proceed from here, but really bummed that the first time I’ve played in months has been spent doing nothing but troubleshooting.

Should I make another family and move them into a lot as well to see if they’re normal? I am not wedded to my testing hood, obviously, so I can dump the characters/lots once I can figure out the problem. But I’m starting to think there are multiple problems since I got a new set of errors this time.
Screenshots
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 23rd Apr 2024 at 11:59 AM
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Apr 2024 at 11:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Could you be hitting the file limit?
See here:
https://modthesims.info/t/608063
And here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/sims2help/...g_corruption.29

That was my first thought as well ... trouble is, the tutorial is 5 operating systems out of date, and apparently there have been security changes from OS 10.15 (Catalina) and upward that make the file limit changes either not save or it disregards them altogether.

Terminal is telling me that my file limits are the highest ones shown in the thread here on MTS: max file limit after fix. That should be sufficient – I have about 10k files in the Downloads folder, and the game itself definitely doesn't use 50k.

But maybe the limits aren't working right? Because the errors I keep getting are ones that correspond to file limit problems. I upgraded to Catalina sometime within the past year, so it's possible that the system is no longer reading the /Library/LaunchDaemons files. (But it's still telling me those outputs in Terminal, which implies it IS??? I just don't know, I'm not a coder.)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 24th Apr 2024 at 12:03 AM
Are you sure you're counting all files in your user data folder? It opens everything, even files for neighborhoods that aren't being played. For example, if I look at mine, I have over 22,000 files in there, and I only have one active neighborhood and not very much CC.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Apr 2024 at 2:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Are you sure you're counting all files in your user data folder? It opens everything, even files for neighborhoods that aren't being played. For example, if I look at mine, I have over 22,000 files in there, and I only have one active neighborhood and not very much CC.

Yes, I did the full count of everything (screenshots below) and the total adds up to about 16k, which is WELL under the limit of 63k.

This was a brand new install. There are no other neighborhoods, and I use empty templates so there are only 6 characters and two lots. At this point I’m guessing that the OS is the culprit and something is not working right with the system overrides, because a quick Google search is telling me that Apple acknowledged this as a bug in the developer forums less than a year ago. The tutorial here on MTS does not cover any OS past the 10s (the current one is 14), so I’m not sure what to do next.
Screenshots