Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Mar 2024 at 7:13 AM
Default How can I mod the Invention Bench to use metal ingots and gems?
Hello!

Does anyone know how I can make changes to the Invention Bench to be able to use metal ingots and gems from its inventory to make different items? I'm looking at whether I can have my sims make jewellry objects - I have checked out the premium store glass blowing and jewellry maker but it doesn't quite do what I want it to do.

Any ideas?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 4th Mar 2024 at 4:39 AM
Are you familiar with script modding?
Inventions have their own XML, but, unlike something like a food recipe where ingredient definitions could be changed, it only uses scrap-specific tuning.
In short, not possible to change or add non-scrap recipes without scripting.

What is it that want it to do that the store item cannot do?

Scribe of tutorials. Oracle of questions at NRaas. Blog staller at thecardinalsims. Feel free to @ me for input on any TS3/TS4 modding questions.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Mar 2024 at 7:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims
Are you familiar with script modding?
Inventions have their own XML, but, unlike something like a food recipe where ingredient definitions could be changed, it only uses scrap-specific tuning.
In short, not possible to change or add non-scrap recipes without scripting.

What is it that want it to do that the store item cannot do?

I am familiar with script modding, so not afraid to jump in there and change something

I'd like to be able to make items using the gems and ingots in my sims inventory - I had a look at the store item and it doesn't seem to require anything before you make it, other than a skill level. I suppose it could be easier to just make the store item require a "recipe" of say, 2 silver ingots and 1 heart shaped gem, rather than messing with the invention bench?
Instructor
#4 Old 4th Mar 2024 at 8:47 AM
I thought at least some of the artisan items would require ingredients, but you're right- they're just unlocked and paid for in simoleons.

I think a good place to start with the inventing workbench would be
Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.HobbiesSkills.Inventing.InventionWorkbench.MakeFrankensim - the Simbot is the one invention that requires certain items in the sims inventory, with the parts of the script relating to that being found here. You could likely borrow this function for whatever interaction you want, freeing that interaction to later be for the workbench or the glassblower or something else entirely.
Adding new inventions isn't something I've seen done before, but the way DouglasVeiga's CCLoader handles loading recipes and books and such would likely be a good example for what to expect when working with the Inventing XML or creating your own.

That's about where my familiarity with the scripting side of things tapers out, but hopefully those are decent leads.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Mar 2024 at 10:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims
I thought at least some of the artisan items would require ingredients, but you're right- they're just unlocked and paid for in simoleons.

I think a good place to start with the inventing workbench would be
Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.HobbiesSkills.Inventing.InventionWorkbench.MakeFrankensim - the Simbot is the one invention that requires certain items in the sims inventory, with the parts of the script relating to that being found here. You could likely borrow this function for whatever interaction you want, freeing that interaction to later be for the workbench or the glassblower or something else entirely.
Adding new inventions isn't something I've seen done before, but the way DouglasVeiga's CCLoader handles loading recipes and books and such would likely be a good example for what to expect when working with the Inventing XML or creating your own.

That's about where my familiarity with the scripting side of things tapers out, but hopefully those are decent leads.

Thank you!
Test Subject
#6 Old 12th Mar 2024 at 10:37 AM Last edited by NovaBlanchard : 20th Mar 2024 at 11:30 AM.
Thank you for helping me out as well, you made my day <3 I am a student, and in my studies, the only thing that is not completed on time are assignments, which I have found to be my problem. Now I use the services of https://lastminutewriting.com/ lastminutewriting. I simply place the order, and on the basis of delivery, it decides the price itself, and now I am tension-free. thank you.