Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 12:49 PM
Default Mice?!
I was sitting here at the computer last night when suddenly my cat (who's looking outside through the back door like he usually does) starts going nuts and jumping and bouncing off the glass.

Usually he does that when there's another animal outside, but this time he was unusually excited so I got up and went to check it out. At first I didn't see anything. "There must be another animal out there that he's seeing... where is it?" I wonder. Then, I noticed something small and dark moving around right on the other side of the glass. Then -

"Holy shit! There a mouse trapped between the glass and the screen door!"

How it got there I have no idea. But, my cat was going insane and desperately wanted to sink his teeth into the hapless creature. I didn't want to risk letting it in the house though, so I put my cat in the basement to keep him from injuring himself and waited for the mouse to go away. The little mouse sort of scrambled around in the space between the screen and the glass for a few minutes but eventually it wiggled free through the space on it's own and ran off into the night.

Good thing mice are generally only a problem when they're inside your house. But if one ever does happen to get in here, it certainly won't live for very long with my cat around!
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 4:47 PM
I love your Mouse story.

We have 4 cats and I see a lot of Mice. They are usually in bits however. A while back we did have them in the House. My second son called to me one day that there was a Mouse sitting on the Piano, and there was too. Luckily the cats were all out so this particular Mouse lived to see another day.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 10:25 PM
My cat is absolutely terrible when it comes to any kind of pest control!

She came to the front door one day, mewing and scratching to get in like crazy, and when I got to the door she had a little mouse in her mouth. I refused to let her bring it in, because really, she would just bat it around for a little while and leave me to clean up the pieces, so I waited until she dropped it. That didn't take long, but when she did drop it, I realised she had never even sunk her teeth into it and the little mouse ran away completely unharmed!
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 11th Apr 2011 at 3:41 AM
Yesterday we discovered that a mouse had stolen two whole dog bone biscuits for the dog food bowl, and the biscuits are about 8cm long!

And we were in the room a the time and virtually didn't hear anything!

Sneaky!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 11th Apr 2011 at 4:24 AM
My cat leaves dead mice on the front mat - sometimes just their heads.
I can deal with most of the wild life around here, but every year at least one bat gets into the house, and they give me the heebie jeebies. They're so small and harmless but I'm terrified of getting rabies.
Test Subject
#6 Old 12th Apr 2011 at 6:03 AM
Just two days ago I heard a weird sound that sounded like air was being let out of a balloon..
The next thing I knew there was a ripped up mouse on my floor.. o_O Brought to me by my cat..
Aww, she was so proud of herself for catching it and bringing it to me, purring and such, but I just screamed and got my dad to clean it up for me :P
Instructor
#7 Old 12th Apr 2011 at 11:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PixCii
My cat is absolutely terrible when it comes to any kind of pest control!

She came to the front door one day, mewing and scratching to get in like crazy, and when I got to the door she had a little mouse in her mouth. I refused to let her bring it in, because really, she would just bat it around for a little while and leave me to clean up the pieces, so I waited until she dropped it. That didn't take long, but when she did drop it, I realised she had never even sunk her teeth into it and the little mouse ran away completely unharmed!

I have a cat who does the exact same thing She plays with the mouse for a while, but not using claws or teeth. She just gets abruptly bored with it and the mouse slips away. Guess who then has to chase the mouse around the house like a crazy person? Me ofcouse! My cat just loves that...

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. "
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 13th Apr 2011 at 2:44 AM
We caught our first mouse this morning. It was a baby and we put it in a mouse cage. About an hour later it was running in the mouse wheel!

I shall name him Tetris.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 13th Apr 2011 at 10:30 AM
My cats are useless, we live near corn fields so during harvest the mice run down the hill into our house, our cats either run away from them or rescue them and leave them on the stairs

Are you questionning my badassness? I <3 Glee GO TEAM PUCK :D
Mad Poster
#10 Old 13th Apr 2011 at 10:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simbalena
We caught our first mouse this morning. It was a baby and we put it in a mouse cage. About an hour later it was running in the mouse wheel!

I shall name him Tetris.

Is that safe? I heard that these kind of mice usually carry diseases.
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 14th Apr 2011 at 6:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
Is that safe? I heard that these kind of mice usually carry diseases.

We haven't had pet mice for years but we still have the cage, and we only planned on catching them to take them down to the park and release them. But little Junior (that's what I've named him now) was the first one we caught and he's too small to survive in the wild! So I intend to let him grow a little bigger and then release him. But I didn't see him this morning so he could be dead. Probably for the best.

I haven't had wild mice in my house since I was a kid so it's quite a novelty. We only put out the trap two nights ago and we caught four within 24 hours!
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 15th Apr 2011 at 1:52 AM
My cat loves to hunt anything smaller than her except for centipedes and millipedes, she will walk on the opposite side of the room jumping on top of anything there to stay away from those. She loves to catch mice outside and bring them inside to kill in the living room during a family movie.
Theorist
#13 Old 16th Apr 2011 at 4:14 AM
I don't have cats, so my dogs hunt the mice instead.
Instructor
#14 Old 16th Apr 2011 at 5:15 AM
My little sister's cats bring in lizards, bite off the heads and leave them. I hate any bug or lizard or rodent of any kind, and I generally freak out. Even though she's only five (she's my half-sister) she just looks at me and get a paper towel to clean it up. And then she says "Why are you so afraid? It's only a lizard!" But she's adorable and braver than I am!
Inventor
#15 Old 19th Apr 2011 at 6:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by vhanster
I don't have cats, so my dogs hunt the mice instead.

Before she died, my dog used to do that!
I lived in a different house then though, and my current one doesn't have any mice. It's probably for he best, since my cat has never actually seen a mouse and is so neurotic that he probably wouldn't know what to do with one if he saw it, and would most likely end up running and hiding from it.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 19th Apr 2011 at 7:02 AM
When I lived out in the country, my cat used to carry mice around that she would catch from the fields nearby. One night I came home late, and my cat was sitting on the porch. It was really dark, and i didn't have the porch light on. I assumed she had a mouse in her mouth. I unlocked my front door, and turned on the porch light. It wasn't a mouse like normal. it was a long, fat SNAKE!!!!! thank god it was dead, but i thought i almost had a heart attack!