Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Feb 2024 at 2:12 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default the sky is cycling through a rainbow of neon
I downloaded a custom world, Boroughsburg (I followed the instructions carefully so I didn’t miss anything) and the lighting in it is cycling through a rainbow like an essential oil diffuser lol. I’m running the game on a Mac 62 bit so I wasn’t able to follow the instructions I’ve seen for helping the game recognize your graphics card, which is what I thought was going on based on my searches. I looked through my cc and couldn’t find any lighting or weather mods but if you think it could be this I’ll look again. Has anyone ever seen this happen before? It isn’t just odd colors, it’s legitimately like my essential oil diffuser.. like a cycle of neon colors fading into one another. Very nice lol but not what I want in my game.
Screenshots
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 28th Feb 2024 at 11:51 AM
This to me looks like your mac isn't translating something to do with texture correctly. I've not played this particular world, but if there is custom lighting (sea and sky) included, then it's likely in the form of DDS files (which will be embedded in the world file) which change the tone of the sky. In the same way as the EA worlds do (example- Bridgeport has gloomier skies than Sunset Valley). I wonder if something in the DDS or other parameters is not translating correctly? The only way to test would be to remove the files from the world to see (this would require editing the world in S3Pe). Do other custom worlds work okay?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Feb 2024 at 1:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
This to me looks like your mac isn't translating something to do with texture correctly. I've not played this particular world, but if there is custom lighting (sea and sky) included, then it's likely in the form of DDS files (which will be embedded in the world file) which change the tone of the sky. In the same way as the EA worlds do (example- Bridgeport has gloomier skies than Sunset Valley). I wonder if something in the DDS or other parameters is not translating correctly? The only way to test would be to remove the files from the world to see (this would require editing the world in S3Pe). Do other custom worlds work okay?

Hmm ok, thank you. Yes, I’ve played in many custom worlds and I’ve never had anything like this happen. I haven’t been able to install S3PE on my Mac so I’m not sure what to do.. I reached out to the world creator to see if they can help with that. I think in the meantime I’m going to uninstall the world and install it again with the world file not using the launcher to see if maybe that changes something. Everything else seems to work totally fine. it just looks like the city during the wildfires lol
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 28th Feb 2024 at 2:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pnina3
Hmm ok, thank you. Yes, I’ve played in many custom worlds and I’ve never had anything like this happen. I haven’t been able to install S3PE on my Mac so I’m not sure what to do.. I reached out to the world creator to see if they can help with that. I think in the meantime I’m going to uninstall the world and install it again with the world file not using the launcher to see if maybe that changes something. Everything else seems to work totally fine. it just looks like the city during the wildfires lol

I put it into S3PE and sure enough it does have custom lighting in the form of DDS files, so I've done a quick edit and deleted the colour ramps and corresponding INI files from the World file for you to try.

Of course, this will mean that you won't quite see the world as the creator intended- you'll just have the standard EA basegame lighting (the same as Sunset Valley) but you could always download a lighting mod that you like and try that in your Mods folder to use with it.

Download it here:
https://simfileshare.net/download/4500667/
All credit to the original creator, I just removed the sky parameters.

You need to unzip that file and put it in Documents>Electronic Arts>The Sims 3> InstalledWorlds (if you still have the original installed; I didn't change anything so it should work if you just overwrite the original).
If you uninstalled the original then try it in Applications > The Sims 3.app > Contents > Resources > The Sims 3.app > Contents > GameData> Shared> NonPackaged> Worlds (I think, haven't had a Mac for a long time so I hope I'm correct! Someone please correct me!)

I hope this helps, worth a try anyway!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Feb 2024 at 4:35 AM
I put it into S3PE and sure enough it does have custom lighting in the form of DDS files, so I've done a quick edit and deleted the colour ramps and corresponding INI files from the World file for you to try.

Of course, this will mean that you won't quite see the world as the creator intended- you'll just have the standard EA basegame lighting (the same as Sunset Valley) but you could always download a lighting mod that you like and try that in your Mods folder to use with it.

Download it here:

You need to unzip that file and put it in Documents>Electronic Arts>The Sims 3> InstalledWorlds (if you still have the original installed; I didn't change anything so it should work if you just overwrite the original).
If you uninstalled the original then try it in Applications > The Sims 3.app > Contents > Resources > The Sims 3.app > Contents > GameData> Shared> NonPackaged> Worlds (I think, haven't had a Mac for a long time so I hope I'm correct! Someone please correct me!)

OMG thank you!! I will try it tomorrow and let you know if it fixed it. Thank you so much.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Mar 2024 at 6:40 PM

Download it here:

It worked! You’re amazing, thank you so much!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 1st Mar 2024 at 6:51 PM
Oh good, glad about that! Not sure why though, I'm guessing it's something to do with that way your graphics chip is handling the DDS file. Very odd!