Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#101 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 3:34 PM
Thanks tomclinton, I finally make it more better of this. But it still has problem with this. I think I will fix it later. Really thanks for your answer.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#102 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 3:44 PM
Default Help!
Quote: Originally posted by savio_araujo110
Ok. Here's a tutorial: (without pics cause my CS3 is port-br.. )

You'll need:

*Hair texture (if youre doing a conversion, you can extract it from a recolor package. [prefer black])

*Alpha texture (will explain how to get one)

___

.Open the PS CS3.

.Open the texture you extracted before from the recolor package.

.Now it's with you: change the color till it gets a dark grey, almost black texture. (lighter than you extracted) Save as MainSpecular.jpg/png/bmp/whatever.

.Close the window (not the CS3!), without saving.

.Open the file again (you extracted), and now make it lighter, about a light grey, almost white. Save as MainDiffuse.jpg/png/bmp/whatever. Close the windoes (NOT the CS3!) without saving.

.Now's the hardwork... Open the extracted texture again, and now try to make the hair fully white, and the background fully black. (try doing that using ps' Curves tool) That's your alpha texture. Save it as Alpha.jpg/png/bmp/whatever

.Now open the MainDiffuse. Go to Channels tab, and click on 'create new channel'. There's a new channel called Alpha 1. Now open the Alpha file you saved before, Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, and past on the Alpha channel from the MainDiffuse. File, Save As..., and change .dds. Export it as DDX5 file.

.Repeat it with the MainSpecular file.

Yes, it's.

I have a question, why is there a message that says : Too many channels to export (5), when I try to save the texture as .dds?
can you help me?
Lab Assistant
#103 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 4:04 PM
Have you saved it to DXT5 format in the dropdown list?
Test Subject
#104 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 4:31 PM
not yet, i can't 'cause when i try to save as .dds, fist, that message appears
Lab Assistant
#105 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 4:47 PM
Go to Layers tab, right click on your layer (there's only one, i guess), and then Flatten Image.
Lab Assistant
#106 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 5:27 PM
Does anyone know how to assign a hair mesh to both the head and neck?
Test Subject
#107 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 5:42 PM
OK i dont know anything about any of this and i need ALOT of help i dont know any of these websites or whateer they are and i cant even figure out how to get custom content on my sims 3 game im sorry if im asking in the wrong place but i need help! so if someone is patient please help me with this
Test Subject
#108 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 5:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by savio_araujo110
Ok. Here's a tutorial: (without pics cause my CS3 is port-br.. )

You'll need:

*Hair texture (if youre doing a conversion, you can extract it from a recolor package. [prefer black])

*Alpha texture (will explain how to get one)

___

.Open the PS CS3.

.Open the texture you extracted before from the recolor package.

.Now it's with you: change the color till it gets a dark grey, almost black texture. (lighter than you extracted) Save as MainSpecular.jpg/png/bmp/whatever.

.Close the window (not the CS3!), without saving.

.Open the file again (you extracted), and now make it lighter, about a light grey, almost white. Save as MainDiffuse.jpg/png/bmp/whatever. Close the windoes (NOT the CS3!) without saving.

.Now's the hardwork... Open the extracted texture again, and now try to make the hair fully white, and the background fully black. (try doing that using ps' Curves tool) That's your alpha texture. Save it as Alpha.jpg/png/bmp/whatever

.Now open the MainDiffuse. Go to Channels tab, and click on 'create new channel'. There's a new channel called Alpha 1. Now open the Alpha file you saved before, Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, and past on the Alpha channel from the MainDiffuse. File, Save As..., and change .dds. Export it as DDX5 file.

.Repeat it with the MainSpecular file.

Can you explain how you extract the texture? Also, I use paint shop pro 8 so I don't get the "channel" thing as well.
Test Subject
#109 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 6:00 PM
The generate won't work. It says:
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'
at MadScience.Helpers.sanitiseString(String input)
at HairMaker.Form1.button20_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
DABOOBS
Assembly Version: 1.0.3495.1211
Win32 Version: 1.0.3495.1211
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/תוכן%20לסימס%203/Doboos/DABOOBS.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
MadScience.Helpers
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/תוכן%20לסימס%203/Doboos/MadScience.Helpers.DLL
Gibbed.Sims3.FileFormats
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/תוכן%20לסימס%203/Doboos/Gibbed.Sims3.FileFormats.DLL
Gibbed.Helpers
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/תוכן%20לסימס%203/Doboos/Gibbed.Helpers.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I'm using the textures HP suggestes. Help?
Lab Assistant
#110 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 6:17 PM Last edited by savio_araujo110 : 29th Jul 2009 at 6:43 PM.
Open any texture package you wanna use (prefer black) in SImPE, go to Texture Image, choose it (on the right), and then Export... and Save it.

I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about paint shop pro 8.
Lab Assistant
#111 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 6:20 PM
emmie379 - What exactly are you hoping to do? Are you wanting to download and get custom content into your game or are you hoping to make some hair meshes yourself?
If you want to get custom content into your game then I suggest you read the Download instructions when downloading from this site, and youare asking in the wrong thread in that case.
And If you want to make custom meshes then I suggest you begin with making patterns if you 'don't know anything about any of this'...

kotsuki, you extract the meshes using SimPE if you're converting a mesh from The Sims 2. If you want to make your own textures then you have to create them using your photo editing software...As for the channel, I don't know because I am not a Paint Shop pro Customer, I use Photoshop CS2 see and I recommend downloading the tryout version of photoshop CS2 because it's much easier to produce the textures and follow tutorials with...Sorry I can't be of much help...

Belliole - Make sure you have the appropriate version of .net framework installed (3.5). make sure your custom meshes are not borked, I had this error message when I converted a male hair into female hair...So make sure you're not doing anything out of the ordinary...
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#112 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 6:24 PM
Belliole - Install (or reinstall) .NET 3.5

tomclinton - If you're wanting to do multi assignments, best thing for that is to get the Unimesh bone tool (which is a TS2 plugin but still allows you to do multi assignments for TS3) from the link in the tut. It's similar to the extra data tool - select the vertices you want to assign, bring it up from the vertex menu, and input your assignments. They need to add up to 100% total, and doing a smooth cascade from one bone to another gives better animations than hard transitions. You can always import several existing game meshes and look at their assignments in different areas to get an idea of how your assignments should look.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#113 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 6:32 PM
Thank you HP, I will try this in a minute
Do you know how to fix this,also?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#114 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 6:39 PM
tom - I wish I did! I think that's similar to the issue I got on my Sport hair. I don't know what causes it, unfortunately, so I don't begin to know how to fix it. Several others have been having similar issues - see Aikea's pics upthread. Hopefully soon we'll learn what causes it and thus, how to fix it.

One thing I found that can -minimize- it can be to make it so any layers of polys/planes you have are spaced out a little bit - I've found that it can crop up sometimes (or a similar looking issue anyway) when planes are put very close to each other.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#115 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 8:02 PM
HP, do you or Delphy know what the error I keep getting after I click generate in DABOOBS is? I have .Net Framework version 3.5, and i still keep getting the error.
Test Subject
#116 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 8:22 PM
I have the same problem as austin, but I think that mine is because of the textures or something. So, how do I extart the hair textures (again, I convert) and how do I recognize which one is for this part and anther one is for that part?
Lab Assistant
#117 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 8:22 PM
Yeah, thank you for that HP
That was an in game mesh that I altered, and proved to be a success! But, yesterday I converted two new meshes from Sims 2 into Sims 3 using your tutorial, do you know why my game keeps crashing to the desktop when I click on these two new meshes? Have you had any trouble like this?
Lab Assistant
#118 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 8:30 PM
Belliole, extract the texture (of the mesh you've worked on) using SimPE, if you're converting a hair from TS2, now open that texture with your photo editing software and follow the tutorial given by savio on the 4th post down on page 4.
The texture you extract from SimPE should look like loads of hair shoved in a scanner, ok? You have to darken this image and save it as a main specular, lighten the same image and save it as a main diffuse and adding red for roots,green for highlights and blue for tips call this main control, you should save all these images as a .dds (DXT5) file...When you've done this,add the alpha channels...Savio covered this on page 4...He's better at explaining than I am
Test Subject
#119 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 8:50 PM
Thanks very much! I used Photoshop cs2 and now that I've gotten the main diffuse and main specular, but what about control? Sorry...I don't get the packaging part step 5. The bump map and halo is not necessary right? As for the scalp and face, if I don't want the icon (in game) to come out as AM bald etc, what should I do?

Sorry for the trouble because, really, this is my first time doing any type of modding...
Lab Assistant
#120 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 8:55 PM
I just tried to convert two hairs (rose 99, and the otherpeggy) but failed. I'd the same problem as Aikea. =/ But now as Rose put three hairs as donation (!) I'll try on and on converting her hairs. :x

Quote: Originally posted by kotsuki
Thanks very much! I used Photoshop cs2 and now that I've gotten the main diffuse and main specular, but what about control? Sorry...I don't get the packaging part step 5.

Main Control is where you put highlights, root and tips. (IIRC
green is highlights, red root, and blue tips) So, you can paint (choose a good opacity) where you want those things.
Test Subject
#121 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 9:10 PM
I use Paint.Net, but there is no channel tab. Is there a way to do it in Paint.Net?
Lab Assistant
#122 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 9:36 PM
austinf4564, there must be a way to add a channel in Paint.Net - just type into google 'paint.net add channel' or something similar.

Savio, what do you mean you failed? How did you fail? Did they crash your game or something?

Kotsuki, try entering HPs recomendations in her tutorial for the Bump map and Halo, tey are just neutral, here:
(Bump map - key:00B2D882:00000000:75AECFABC8FE9704, Halo - key:00B2D882:00000000:9C8F76BE31BAF565)
Test Subject
#123 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 9:53 PM
Nope, no channel plugins
Lab Assistant
#124 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 9:55 PM
Then, I havnt got an answer to your question, austinf4564, maybe you should also download the tryout version of Photoshop
Lab Assistant
#125 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 10:04 PM
The mesh didn't show properly.. :s I had the same issue Aikea said. I'm trying to convert newsea/yu 19m, by request at simscave.
Page 5 of 25