Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jul 2023 at 6:27 PM
Default Shirt that stopped a sim getting a job
I remember there being a particular shirt that made the game crash every time a Sim tried to get a job. Does anyone remember which shirt that was and if the problem was fixed, as I've just got a comment on one of my uploads that one of my shirts is doing the same thing.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 4th Jul 2023 at 7:54 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 4th Jul 2023 at 8:05 PM.
I don't know about a particular shirt (I think there has been several outfits like this, but can't point to a spesific one), but if I remember correctly, I think the issue had to do with either the wrong morph comments (top using mesh comments for bottom/whole outfit), or the shirt being based on the wrong type of outfit (top using mesh based on whole outfit).

Could be both an issue with the recolor (based on a whole outfit instead of a top) or the mesh.

Could for instance happen if you convert a whole outfit into a top-only outfit, but don't use the proper bases for it, and/or didn't make sure to check if the comments were okay.

Outfits like this can work fine for quite some time in most other gameplay, but there's just something with work settings that causes crashing.

If you know which one it is, I can take a look at it and see if I can figure out what spesifically is causing the issue with this one?
Mad Poster
#3 Old 4th Jul 2023 at 9:27 PM
It was @esmeiolanthe who had the problem. She did actually post a picture or a link to the shirt concerned when I asked, but it was a long time ago, and I don't know if I can find the posts now. But I believe she's still active in the community, though mainly on tumblr nowadays. Hopefully she'll spot that I've tagged her and respond.

As I recall it was a fairly innocuous looking female top -- I had been wondering if it was the sort of very "loud" shirt that would inevitably result in you failing to get the job, should you dare to wear it to an interview!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 5th Jul 2023 at 6:15 PM
It's the ninja top I converted to teen here. https://modthesims.info/d/659941/ma...or-females.html
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 5th Jul 2023 at 10:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
It's the ninja top I converted to teen here. https://modthesims.info/d/659941/ma...or-females.html

I posted the issue to sim crafters Discord, See if any modder is interested in looking at it. It's so odd.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 6th Jul 2023 at 12:38 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 6th Jul 2023 at 12:54 AM.

Someone had issues with the "NoMorphNorms:" comment line a couple weeks or so back. Could be that one? It either caused the normals to disappear when in the comments, or when not in the comments (can't remember which, but I think it was when the line was there). The "top" and "Top1" groups have it, but not "top2". I don't see the issue the line caused for that other person, though (the normals appeared "washed out"), but it's possible the line causes other issues.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Jul 2023 at 9:45 AM
What does NoMorphNorms even mean? I just leave it alone whenever I encounter it.

Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
As I recall it was a fairly innocuous looking female top -- I had been wondering if it was the sort of very "loud" shirt that would inevitably result in you failing to get the job, should you dare to wear it to an interview!

Yeah, I was imagining some sort of skimpy, cleavage showing top and the interviewer going 'nope, this is a respectable establishment!' lol.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 6th Jul 2023 at 3:56 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 6th Jul 2023 at 4:12 PM.
What does NoMorphNorms even mean? I just leave it alone whenever I encounter it.

I don't know - I haven't encountered it much - this was the first time I've really noticed it - so can't tell if it always causes bugs, or just randomly on a rainy Tuesday afternoon if it's going to be a full moon, but not on a sunny Wednesday morning (some CC, you know... ).

It caused some strange issues with the normals disappearing on the mesh for this other person.
Here's the topic with an example pic: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=677365

It's possible other clothes with the job-seeking failure rate at level "crash-and-burn" has the same problem, especially if everything else in the files looks normal. Could be an idea to check that if you ever encounter the issue again. I didn't see anything else in your files that jumped out as weird.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 7th Jul 2023 at 12:30 PM
Hmm, could someone do me a favour, please? I just tested the top in game and got no crashes from using either the computer or the newspaper to get a teen job. Would someone mind testing it in their game and seeing if it crashes?
Mad Poster
#10 Old 7th Jul 2023 at 10:13 PM
Hi Charity, I'm doing that. I've made a household with one adult female and three teenage girls, and I'll see how they get on trying to get jobs dressed in that top. The delay was while I built them a house!

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
#11 Old 7th Jul 2023 at 10:37 PM
By the way, did that person who complained check it's not the pants they're using that's causing the crashing issues? Or anything else? Can it be replicated in several people's games?

(As in, does the top cause crashes for other people too? And for the one who complained, can teen sims use the same pants they tested along with the top, and get any job, without getting crashes? Otherwise it's possible the crashing issues are elsewhere in their game - pants, custom job, mod conflict, etc.)

Sometimes people jump to the first conclusion they reach, without checking other possible options.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 8th Jul 2023 at 1:07 AM
Would someone mind testing it in their game and seeing if it crashes?
Leah Simpson did get the job, but she "jumped" when she accepted it, and the newspaper disappeared.

The job she took "SassySim" Fitting Room Assistant is in a custom teen Fashion Career by Lientebollemeis, and I think Leah is the first Sim in my game in that career. I don't usually bother with teen careers as they tend to pay badly, and, with school as well, they don't give my teens much chance of a social life. So I'll try putting another teen into that job -- not wearing that top. Just in case it's the job that causing the glitch, rather than the top.

New problem: I can't use the paper because it's disappeared! I'll have to get them a computer and see how that works!
Screenshots

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
#13 Old 8th Jul 2023 at 1:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
Leah Simpson did get the job, but she "jumped" when she accepted it, and the newspaper disappeared.

New problem: I can't use the paper because it's disappeared! I'll have to get them a computer and see how that works!

Sounds like the game produced an error/jump bug, and deleted the newspaper as part of it. Guessing you don't have Testingcheats turned on? If you did you'd probably have gotten an error message.

So yeah - definitely something iffy going on here, since the issue is reproducable, although it would've been interesting to know if it also happens with the regular EAxis careers and with an EAxis bottom (just for the sake of ruling out other potential problems).
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th Jul 2023 at 8:33 AM
Thanks. Turning testing cheats on if you try again would be helpful as the error log can give clues.

I did PM the person who had the problem and asked them about the pants, but no reply yet.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 8th Jul 2023 at 11:40 PM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 9th Jul 2023 at 1:44 AM. Reason: Added Stop Press
I've tested it a little more - with interesting results. First thing I did was send one of the teen girls in the household to a clothes shop, where she bought Charity's Ninja top in various colours, as well as a couple of Maxis bottoms. When she returned home, I turned TestingCheatsEnabled on. Then (while playing the normal first day scenarios of meeting and feeding the Welcome Wagon visitors) I got the two remaining teens in the house, Samantha Noble (Romance) and Nicola Hopkins (Fortune), to change into Ninja tops with Maxis bottoms. I remembered that I have a mod that lets me "buy" a newspaper for free. (Frillen's 229 ingame Maxis objects in collection files) so I got a new copy of the morning paper. So (I think it was early afternoon) I sat Samantha Noble (Dressed in a dark blue Ninja top and Maxis blue denim shorts) down with the paper to try to get the same custom teen fashion job as Leah Simpson had got in the morning. Strangely enough that job was no longer advertised in the paper. So we bought a computer and she tried that. This time the job was available, so she applied for it and got it. As I expected this caused an error:
When I clicked on "Reset" she "jumped".
Unlike the newspaper, the computer didn't get deleted. Just as well -- my Sims can't afford to lose ยง1,000 computers!
Next thing to try was a Maxis job, while wearing the Ninja top and an ordinary Maxis bottom. So I got Nicola Hopkins to change into a light blue Ninja top and a red Maxis mini skirt (a little bit more modest than Samantha's shorts!). She then took the newspaper, and applied for, and got without any bother, a Maxis teen job as a waterperson in the Athletic career. No Error! No jump bug!

So it looks like the error and jump bug may be caused by Lientebollemeis's teen fashion career, rather Charity's top. Or maybe it's a combination of the two. I think I'll test Nicola changing to the fashion job, while not wearing the Ninja top. And I'll also try to get Kaye Parry, the only adult in the house, into a custom career, and see what happens. I'll post again with the results.

I understand that the mod by Frillen that I mentioned doesn't work with the later EPs, but it works OK in my game.
I attach the error log mentioned in the screenshot above.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STOP PRESS

I did the two additional tests I mentioned, and, when I switched Nicola from Maxis Athletic teen Career to Lientebollemeis's teen fashion career she still had the error and the jump bug, even though she wasn't wearing Charity's Ninja top. So @Charity, it looks like you're in the clear. It seems to be Lientebollemeis's teen career that's causing the error. I'll let her know. And I'll post more fully tomorrow.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: txt  ObjectError_N008_t17003.txt (51.1 KB, 4 downloads)

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 9th Jul 2023 at 11:19 AM
Thanks heaps for doing those extra tests. Hopefully the person with the original problem will get back to me and give me more information.
Instructor
#17 Old 10th Jul 2023 at 3:07 AM
I made a post a year or two ago about some of Lientebollemeis's careers causing a jump bug when they select it. Never got a solution for it and just put up with it as i like the jobs and they work and everything other than jumping when they first get it.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 12th Jul 2023 at 6:36 PM
Stop the press lol. The shirt is innocent.

The person who had the problem told me what they were wearing on the bottom and the moment I tested with this skirt https://modthesims.info/d/613369/vi...and-blouse.html I crashed to desktop. Tried again without the ninja top and crashed again.

Still no idea why the skirt is bad, but at least I can reproduce the error now.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 12th Jul 2023 at 6:39 PM
I hope you/community are able to figure it out, because I want that skirt. All of it super cute, why I have not seen them before?

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 12th Jul 2023 at 10:51 PM
Looks like the skirt uses a top mesh as the base, so that could be part of the issue. For whatever reason, clothes tend to work best when they use the proper mesh base (top/bottom/whole).
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#21 Old 13th Jul 2023 at 12:35 PM
The skirt used to be a whole body outfit, which I separated. I'd better check the top as well in case I messed them both up.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 13th Jul 2023 at 1:41 PM
Well, I promised I'd post again on Saturday, and it's now Thursday of the next week, so the least I can do is say "sorry"!

As mentioned in the Stop Press to my last post, Nicola Hopkins changed into a Maxis outfit, and applied for the same teen fashion job by lientebollemeis as her housemates Leah and Samantha are already in. Like them she got an error and a jump bug. I attach the error file so you can compare it to the one that Samantha got.

The only adult in the house, Kaye Parry, also applied for, and got a custom career job (in her case the City Planner career by DarinClark2004) and didn't get any errors. It also so happens she was wearing her underwear when 'phoning about the job! This might be a useful workaround for when an item of clothing stops you getting the job. (I don't think I'd recommend wearing underwear to an interview for a real life job!! Well, not for most jobs anyway!)

(BTW Kaye has now bought an adult size Ninja top by Bunhead -- so as to fit in better with her teenage housemates. Just because I'm testing something doesn't stop me playing too! )

So it's the Victorian skirt that's causing the problem -- not the Ninja top! My first thought was there's much call for full-length skirts in my game. Most of my Sims (boys as well as girls) seem to prefer to wear micro-shorts! But when I thought about it, I do have those skirts in my game -- and the blouses that go with them. They're what the female Romanovs are wearing in Veronaville! @Charity, is it only the teen version of the skirt that is causing the problem? I ask because the two elder Romanov daughters, Olga and Tatiana -- both adults -- have taken jobs. Though it is conceivable that they were wearing underwear (or other non-everyday clothing) when they took the jobs -- after all Romanov underwear gives a lot more coverage than what most modern Veronavillians wear for everyday!

I still have a problem playing Veronaville at present, but, since I've already got the clothes, I'm more than willing to help with testing anything that helps. I wonder how the Elswyn girls would feel about dressing up in long Victorian skirts!
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: txt  ObjectError_N008_t28647.txt (49.9 KB, 4 downloads)

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 13th Jul 2023 at 4:46 PM Last edited by Charity : 13th Jul 2023 at 6:04 PM.
Your new household sounds like they're going to have a lot of fun all having fashion jobs together. Teenager's dream?

Edit: Okay, after further testing the adult and elder clothing seems to be fine.

@simmer22 How did you know that the skirt was set to the wrong type of outfit? That'd be a useful thing to be able to check when I make clothes.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 13th Jul 2023 at 7:06 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 13th Jul 2023 at 7:18 PM.
The cloned mesh for the teen skirt was an extracted top - you can see it on the original name.
"tfvicskirt-tftopvnecklongsleeve"

No idea why meshes sometimes bug out if they're based on a different mesh type, but seems they have a tendency to do that.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#25 Old 14th Jul 2023 at 7:09 PM
Ok, skirt is fixed and tested. Anyone who downloaded it will just need to download the fixed mesh and recolours.

Also useful to know what causes the job crashing bug. If anyone has further problems, then please let me know.
Page 1 of 2