Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Oct 2010 at 2:14 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise
Default Installed Deluxe 3 - no custom content at all crashes
Hi I just installed the Sims 3 Deluxe, and I can load the game, create Sims, but when I do start playing them the game crashes with no warning. Here are my system specs. I had this computer built a year and a half ago. The computer plays the Sims 2 with all expansions and stuff packs and a ton of custom content with no problems.

Intel Core Quad q9400, 2.66ghz
ram - 8GB
video card: nivda geforce 9800gt
64 bit operating system, windows 7

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I tried all of the steps mentioned on this site before positing this with still no luck.

Thanks,
Rachael
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#2 Old 31st Oct 2010 at 7:07 AM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
  • General - Post System Specs
    We need more information before we can help with your issue. Please post your system specs - instructions on finding them are here: Game Help:System Specswiki.

If it is not specifically asked, please provide the Quick summary only.

• Sims 3 - EADM Issues
    If you encounter issues while downloading Store/Exchange items or when trying to patch or Launcher won't even start, then maybe the issues is not the Launcher but EADM. Please try the suggestions on this FAQ article:

• Sims 3 - Verify Gameversions + Framework
    What is your gameversion?
    Windows OS: Game_Help:TS3_Patching_Find_Gameversionwiki
    Mac OSX: Game_Help:TS3_Patching_Find_Gameversion#info.plistwiki

Copy and paste the indicated line from the skuversion.txt or info.plist from the following locations, for whichever games you have (adapt as appropriate for OSX):
    C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin
    C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 <EP or SP name>\Game\Bin

Quote:
    BG: GameVersion =
    WA: GameVersion =
    HEL: GameVersion =
    AMB: GameVersion =
    FL: GameVersion =
    LN: GameVersion =
Is it in digital download or retail disc? If retail, uninstall EADM as in the guide.
And we need more info on the specs.

Which town were you loading? So, this is the first time installing and running Sims 3 on this machine?
Deluxe is base game + Ambitions, right? You don't have any other packs at this time?
And what patch version are you at?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Oct 2010 at 3:59 PM
I'm running the retail disc. I just uninstalled EADM and the whole game and will try to see if the problem is still there. The version I"m running is 4.0.87.0006001. This is the first time installing the base game and ambitions on my machine. I do not have any other packs or custom content. Here are my system specs:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 10/31/2010, 10:03:25
Machine name: RACHAEL
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: P5QL PRO
BIOS: BIOS Date: 11/28/08 17:25:18 Ver: 08.00.14
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8192MB RAM
Page File: 2533MB used, 13847MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Sound Tab 3: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 9800 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0614&SUBSYS_34AE1458&REV_A2
Display Memory: 4071 MB
Dedicated Memory: 487 MB
Shared Memory: 3583 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (59Hz)
Monitor Name: HP w2207 Wide LCD Monitor
Monitor Model: HP w2207
Monitor Id: HWP26A8
Native Mode: 1680 x 1050(p) (59.954Hz)
Output Type: HD15
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 8.17.0012.6089 (English)
Driver Version: 8.17.12.6089
DDI Version: 10
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 10/8/2010 04:47:00, 12787816 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4554-11CF-2160-A2141CC2C535}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0614
SubSys ID: 0x34AE1458
Revision ID: 0x00A2
Driver Strong Name: oem73.inf:NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1:Section004:8.17.12.6089:pci\ven_10de&dev_0614
Rank Of Driver: 00E62001
Video Accel:
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
D3D9 Overlay: Supported
DXVA-HD: Supported
DDraw Status: Not Available
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Not Available
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 31st Oct 2010 at 5:03 PM Last edited by rachaelstar713 : 1st Nov 2010 at 11:32 PM.
Hi, I was able to play the base game fine. However, after installing ambitions, I'm able to use create a sim, but when I start playing the sim on a lot the game crashes still with out warning. I have also updated to the current patches and still no luck.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#5 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 9:13 AM
Quote:
Which town were you loading?
Have you tried the other? I mean is Sunset Valley crashing at the same spot as Twinbrook, when you replicate the same actions?

You have not messed around with DEP or LAA, have you? (If you don't know what they are, you're fine)

And you provided the gameversion for AMB, but not base game. Are they on the same level? There is a table in the Patching wiki under CommonErrors link for you to compare against.
You should patch to the current 1.17 series and try again (with both towns, please).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 12:55 PM
Thanks so much for your help. I have the 1.17 series already installed for the base game. The version I have for AMB is 4.5.6.009001. I have not messed with DEP or LAA don't even know where to find that LOL. Sunset Valley and Twinbrook are both crashing a few seconds after I try playing a sim on a lot. Is it possible that my computer can not handle the game?

Thanks again.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 9:29 PM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
  • General - Check Temps
    In some cases, game bugs/crashes/general computer issues can be caused by your computer overheating. To ascertain whether or not overheating is a cause of your problem, please follow these steps:

Firstly, download and install HWMonitor. Run the program - you should see lots of numbers; if you don't know what any of them mean, don't worry - you don't have to. :)

With HWMonitor running, use your computer normally for twenty or thirty minutes - no games, just browsing the web, using IM, playing minesweeper etc - and at the end of the twenty or thirty minutes, take a screenshot of the HWMonitor window and save it.

Then do the same again, keeping HWMonitor open, while you play Sims for twenty to thirty minutes. If your game is crashing before the thirty minutes is up, just play until it crashes. If your computer is freezing, shutting down, or restarting itself, play for as long as you think you can before the freeze/shutdown/reboot, then quit the game. Take another screenshot of the HWMonitor window.

Finally, attach both screenshots to a post in this thread - you can upload them to photobucket or tinypic etc, or you can hit "Go Advanced" in the Quick Reply box and use manage attachments to upload them to MTS.

• Sims 3 - Game Problems
    For generic game related issues, please see this FAQ:

Game Help:Sims 3 Game Problemwiki

Make sure ALL Custom Content is removed: No package files in the documents location or the program files location(s), no store or other sims3packs installed, check the virtual store location for hiding cc, and rename your user files to make the game regenerate new ones. Also provide the info requested about your system temps.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 11:44 PM Last edited by rachaelstar713 : 3rd Nov 2010 at 2:07 AM.
As you requested here you go. Thanks again. I also updated my driver for my video card today. with the same result.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  hwm.zip (309.3 KB, 14 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th Nov 2010 at 11:11 PM
Is there anything I can do to get this game running? do I need more fans for my PC? I think my specs are good enough to run the game....or is that an incorrect statement?

Thanks so much.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#10 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 5:25 AM
Could you attach as screenshots, please? Sorry, I don't have time to download a file and then load my Imaging program, and then quit that, when I need to answer posts and zip outta here...

Specs are good.

At the bottom of that Game Problem FAQ mikey linked to is the Crash Workarounds for the DEP instructions, and suggestions for Late Night Crashing. Do those first... Even with no Late Night, I've read posts where the patch is the one doing the Lot placement thing.

I'll have to remember to edit that wiki, when I have half an hour to sit down.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 4:52 PM
Here are the screen shots at Jpeg. I will give the crash work around a try.

Thanks,
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 7:09 PM
The DEP instructions seem to be working. Thanks for your help.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#13 Old 8th Nov 2010 at 6:27 PM
For a 30min play (that is, if you stick to that guide), those max temps are OK for the card, but I'm no expert on temp readings. I understand it can go a lot higher for that card.
You may want to search the 'net for that GPU model#'s ideal idle vs load temps, if you want to keep an eye on it.

It basically also depends on the speed of the fan settings and ambient temps and others, so there are a lot of factors to consider...

I'll keep this open, in case Callistra or others have further input/comments on your system temps.