Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Aug 2010 at 5:08 AM
Default crashing when traveling to china
I don't know if this is just an issue with this location's .world file, or a borked sim in and of herself, but I have been trying unsuccessfully to get my self sim and her paramour to shang sim la. When I select travel from the laptop with Zack (my boyfriend of course!) it will load 3/4s of the way before crashing. When I select travel from the laptop with my sim, it crashes IMMEDIATELY. No error message, nothing. My error logs in windows xp show nothing, no application errors, no security alerts, nothing. I have no firewall installed, and windows firewall is turned off. I do have AVG running and objectdock in the background, but the game plays fine until I go to travel. I have used the CFF and DEP solutions, and it still does it.

Any suggestions?? I have an AMD athlon 64 FX2 dual core running at 2.7 ghz, 4 gb of ddr2 ram and an ATI radeon hd 4550 gpu w 512 gb of on board memory. running windows XP.

Let's just pretend I know what I'm doing... when we all know I don't!!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Aug 2010 at 3:58 AM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
  • General - Post System Specs
    We need more information before we can help with your issue. Please post your system specs - instructions on finding them are here: Game Help:System Specswiki.

If it is not specifically asked, please provide the Quick summary only.

Does this only happen when traveling to China or to any world? Does it only happen to these sims or any sim who attempts to travel?
Have you tried a new game or only on saved games?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Aug 2010 at 12:34 PM
It doesn't matter new or saved, which sim or which world, it crashes. sometimes immediately, sometimes 3/4's of the way through.

Mad Poster
#4 Old 10th Aug 2010 at 4:49 PM
please post system specs as requested.

Below is a sample 'form' you can use to help you out. You'll need to copy and paste the entire template below, and fill it in.

==System==

* Operating System:
* System Manufacturer
* System Model
* Processor:
* Memory:
* Page File:
* DirectX Version:

==Display==

* Name:
* Manufacturer:
* Chip Type:
* Approx. Total Memory:

* Main Driver:
* Version:
* Driver Date:

==Sound==

* Description:
* Driver Name:
* Driver Version:
* Date:

==Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives==

* Drive:
* Free Space:
* Total Space:
* File System:
* Model:
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Aug 2010 at 5:14 PM
==System==

* Operating System: WINDOWS XP SP3
* System Manufacturer PCCHIPS
* System Model A15G
* Processor: AMD ATHLON 64 X2 DUAL CORE PROCESSOR 4400+ MMX, 3DNOW!
* Memory:4046 MB RAM
* Page File: 457 MB USED, 2970 MB AVAIL
* DirectX Version: DIRECTX 9.0C

==Display==

* Name: ATI RADEON HD 4500 SERIES
* Manufacturer: ATI TECHNOLOGIES INC
* Chip Type: ATI RADEON GRPAHICS PROCESSOR (0X95C5)
* Approx. Total Memory: 512.0 MB

* Main Driver: ATI2DVAG.DLL
* Version: 6.14.0010.7101
* Driver Date: 7/6/2010

==Sound==

* Description: SOUNDBLASTER LIVE! 24 BIT
* Driver Name:P17.SYS
* Driver Version:5.12.0001.0314
* Date: 6/4/2004

==Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives==

* Drive: WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLUE
* Free Space: 100 GB
* Total Space: 500 GB
* File System: NTFS
* Model:

In the Arena
retired moderator
#6 Old 13th Aug 2010 at 6:00 AM
You could try with a sound driver and DirectX (if outdated) updates.
But some issues always crop up sooner or later on graphic cards not listed in EA's supported list.

You have ruled out CC, of course, and tried on a brand new, vanilla game? Your posts #1 & #3 did not mention this bit, just that it happens on new and saved games and for all default/custom Sims and Worlds, but only when traveling to China.

Also, are you still using the default EA StoryProgression?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Aug 2010 at 12:06 PM
Yes I am using ea story progression... and I did start a new game, same problems. The only CC I have is crap from the store. And how is my graphics card not supported? It's an ati radeon HD...

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#8 Old 13th Aug 2010 at 12:27 PM
The 4500 cards are aging entry-level tech - the Radeon HD series covers everything from powerful top-end cards to crappy integrated graphics chips.

Is it just China that crashes? Can you go to Egypt or France?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#9 Old 13th Aug 2010 at 3:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by moonlitmagik
And how is my graphics card not supported? It's an ati radeon HD...
Because it is not on the supported list (see quote below)? A brand name doesn't mean much as you have to look at model number and the sub-series of that model. And even then, not all cards within the same series are created equal.

See table in Game_Help:TS3_System_Requirementswiki, that HD 4500 series card is classified as a "Maybe".
Quote:
ATI Radeon™ series:
  • <snipped>
  • 4830, 4770, 4850, 4870, 4890

The default EA Story Progression is buggy in handling relationship links upon traveling and usually messed up Family Trees and anything associated with those links - like Careers tab, Inventory tab, whole UI panel, etc.
The 2 options as replacements are Awesomemod or Twallan's StoryProgression mod.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th Aug 2010 at 12:12 AM
Whiterider, I can't go ANYWHERE. No matter what city, it crashes. If I have to update my video card, I mean I'd be more than willing to, but see, I mean, if it were a problem with the video card the game just wouldn't play period... it would show issues in other areas other than just crashing to the desktop halfway through loading. Never have a problem with the game otherwise. I'm wondering, would it be possible for me to UNINSTALL that portion of the game (since it doesn't work anyway?)

shiny!
retired moderator
#11 Old 15th Aug 2010 at 5:40 PM
Your graphics card is much newer than the CPU. Did you upgrade it yourself or have it done sometime after buying the computer?

Do you play any other games? If so, which ones and are you having problems with any of them?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 15th Aug 2010 at 11:51 PM
I did upgrade the graphics card when I saw it on special on newegg.com the cpu and motherboard i purchased about two years ago on newegg. I play MTGO, GTA IV and liberty city stories, chessmaster grandmaster edition, having ZERO problems with ANY game I run on this system except the sims WA. The rest of the game PLAYS FINE. It's smooth to load, the graphics aren't choppy at all, the shadows are great and it plays well on high detail. Should I purchase a new video card or try even changing chipsets although heaven forbid I hate Nvidia cards with a passion...

shiny!
retired moderator
#13 Old 16th Aug 2010 at 5:30 AM
Those games are all a lot less demanding than WA, so that doesn't rule out a computer problem... did the game ever not crash or has it always crashed?

It could be a problem with the card as it is weaker than recommended and not supported but I can't really say for sure as I've never known anyone else to use the card for TS3. The CPU is going to hold you back a lot too though since TS3 is very CPU dependent and that one is much weaker than anything current. May just not be a good combination. Also did you check to make sure your power supply was strong enough before upgrading?

To rule out game problems try these steps:
http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...0Game%20Problem
http://www.simswiki.info/wiki.php?t...ash_workarounds

I also suggest updating your sound drivers as suggested above, and making sure you have the latest directx: Looks like video drivers are probably up to date. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6a-9b6652cd92a3
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 16th Aug 2010 at 10:07 AM
are you kidding? have you SEEN the requirements for gta IV?? Not to mention the fact that it's a horrible xbox 360 port over, but I digress. The game has NEVER crashed for me until I decided to use the WA features of the game. Ambitions and HELS stuff works FINE. Can I uninstall WA (since I don't use it anyway?) or would that cause unknown problems to man and cause my cpu to explode in a firey death ball?