Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jan 2024 at 5:37 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Meteor Mayhem!!!
It seems like every time my Sim spends an hour or more outside, he soon finds himself in the path of an oncoming meteor! No matter what he's doing, if it's outside he's pretty much guaranteed to be hit by one at some point. I checked through my Mods and I don't have anything that increases the frequency of meteors, so any idea as to why this is happening?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 24th Jan 2024 at 11:21 PM
Well, it's been a hot minute since I last played (or even installed) The Sims 3, but my immediate guess is just the Random Number God being Like Thatâ„¢. Or, in plainer English, the game's virtual dice just spat out a dirty great big cluster of meteor strikes. (Remember: "what are the odds of flipping five coins and getting five heads?" has a very different answer from "what are the odds of flipping 1,000 coins and getting five or more heads in a row at least once?"... even if the latter looks suspiciously like the former in the moment.)

WARNING: Professional Lurker Alert!
Quote:
"Ew, trees [WooHoo-ing]."

-- "Oral Pollination", Not Always Right
Test Subject
#3 Old 25th Jan 2024 at 12:01 PM
I'd check the mods you have in the game, sometimes really outdated mod can cause this behavior.
If it just started happening it might be from a recent mod you downloaded.
Instructor
#4 Old 25th Jan 2024 at 9:00 PM
No Meteors Fall
https://simsasylum.com/tfm/index.ph...s-ambitions-ep/ (required registration)

check with The Sims 3 Dashboard if you have any mods that edit the same Meteor XML file.

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Jan 2024 at 3:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DarkCrystal1997
I'd check the mods you have in the game, sometimes really outdated mod can cause this behavior.
If it just started happening it might be from a recent mod you downloaded.

I didn't have any mods that affected the chance of meteors at the time, so I went and downloaded these two mods:

https://modthesims.info/d/563469/up...stem-bonus.html
https://modthesims.info/d/536452/no...the-future.html

to hopefully put an end to these showers once and for all. Sadly, within 15 minutes of letting my Sim hang out outside, they're wondering why it got dark all of a sudden.
Test Subject
#6 Old 26th Jan 2024 at 9:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by stormcat3
I didn't have any mods that affected the chance of meteors at the time, so I went and downloaded these two mods:

https://modthesims.info/d/563469/up...stem-bonus.html
https://modthesims.info/d/536452/no...the-future.html

to hopefully put an end to these showers once and for all. Sadly, within 15 minutes of letting my Sim hang out outside, they're wondering why it got dark all of a sudden.

First of all, I think those two mods might be conflicting with eachother since they edit similar XMLs, I'd run a check with the Dashboard tool to see if it's really causing a conflict.

But if the meteors started happening frequently before you installed those mods, the culprit might be other mod.
Even mods that aren't related to meteors can cause frequent meteors shower if they're really outdated or causing a conflict with eachother.

If you have NRAAS Retuner mod installed, there's actually a way to turn off the meteors in the settings so you wouldn't need the mods you downloaded.

You can check this NRAAS forum post for the settings to change:

https://www.nraas.net/community/chatterbox/topic7416

And in case you don't have the Dashboard tool, you can find it here:

https://modthesims.info/d/387006/si...8217-25892.html

Use it to check if you have conflicting mods.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 26th Jan 2024 at 2:53 PM
First of all, I think those two mods might be conflicting with eachother since they edit similar XMLs, I'd run a check with the Dashboard tool to see if it's really causing a conflict.

But if the meteors started happening frequently before you installed those mods, the culprit might be other mod.
Even mods that aren't related to meteors can cause frequent meteors shower if they're really outdated or causing a conflict with eachother.

If you have NRAAS Retuner mod installed, there's actually a way to turn off the meteors in the settings so you wouldn't need the mods you downloaded.

You can check this NRAAS forum post for the settings to change:

https://www.nraas.net/community/chatterbox/topic7416

And in case you don't have the Dashboard tool, you can find it here:

https://modthesims.info/d/387006/si...8217-25892.html

Use it to check if you have conflicting mods.

I tried to install the dashboard tool, but it won't open on my computer for some reason. I saved the program to my desktop, is there somewhere else I need to put it?
Test Subject
#8 Old 26th Jan 2024 at 3:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stormcat3
I tried to install the dashboard tool, but it won't open on my computer for some reason. I saved the program to my desktop, is there somewhere else I need to put it?

You can save it to your desktop, it shouldn't cause a problem.
Did you extract everything from the download into the same folder?

Make sure everything in the .rar file is in the same folder and don't move the program itself to a different location since it needs the other files to function, also make sure you're running the program as administrator.
Right click on the program and choose "Run as administrator".

If it still refuses to run, make sure your anti virus or windows defender don't mistakenly flagging it as a virus.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 26th Jan 2024 at 4:07 PM
You can save it to your desktop, it shouldn't cause a problem.
Did you extract everything from the download into the same folder?

Make sure everything in the .rar file is in the same folder and don't move the program itself to a different location since it needs the other files to function, also make sure you're running the program as administrator.
Right click on the program and choose "Run as administrator".

If it still refuses to run, make sure your anti virus or windows defender don't mistakenly flagging it as a virus.

Now It's working! Will report back when I clean up the conflicting mods.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 26th Jan 2024 at 5:36 PM
Well, I removed several conflicting mods, yet my Sims was still struck by a meteor when he went out fishing.
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 26th Jan 2024 at 5:54 PM
Did you clean the caches after you removed the mods?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 26th Jan 2024 at 8:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 310175
Did you clean the caches after you removed the mods?

oh. No, I did not. I will do that.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 3rd Feb 2024 at 1:34 AM
Well, I did even more Mod cleanup, made sure to clear my caches after altering my Mods folder, and even downloaded a mod that is supposed to stop the meteors entirely...

Yet they keep happening!!!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#14 Old 3rd Feb 2024 at 10:19 AM
Does it happen in all worlds, or just this one?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 3rd Feb 2024 at 3:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Does it happen in all worlds, or just this one?

I haven't actually explored other worlds to check. Is this important?
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 3rd Feb 2024 at 10:09 PM
It could help us figure out if this is only affecting this one save or world. What world are you playing anyway?
- If it doesn't, then it's something wrong with the save.
- If it does, then it's probably something in your mods.

The next step would be to move the "The Sims 3" folder out of "Documents" start the game and let it recreate the folder, and see if it happens with a completely clean game.
- If it doesn't, then I suggest to add your mods slowly back in (maybe 10 at a time), test the clean game, and as soon as it happens again, it's one of the last 10 you added back in.
- If it does, I'm out of ideas.

One thing that also occurred to me. Does your sim carry some space rocks in the inventory? That's kind of a meteor magnet too.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 4th Feb 2024 at 4:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 310175
I
One thing that also occurred to me. Does your sim carry some space rocks in the inventory? That's kind of a meteor magnet too.

I always sell any space rocks I collect almost as soon as I get them.