Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Dec 2009 at 1:27 PM
Default How to create the default skin for The Sims 3?
Hello. My English Is not perfect, so sorry for any mistakes I may make. I would like to create a skin for the Sims 3. I have several good looking skins for The Sims 2, so I have nice tekstures, witch I would like to convert for The Sims 3. But I know nothing about It that Is why I'm asking for help. Could anybody instruct me how to create the skin for the Sims 3, using tekstures from The sims 2?
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th Dec 2009 at 1:39 PM
Hi anie,

I've moved your post from the discussion forum to the Create forums since this is a more appropriate place.

You can indeed do what you're wanting to do.

First, here's a tutorial on the basics of making a Sims 3 default replacement skin:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=351328

That will help you get your textures in the right format to work in TS3 and show you what they need to look like to work in the game.

As far as using TS2 skin textures, you'll need to open the TS2 skin files in SimPE and export the texture images as PNGs. Then you'll need to combine those with the base TS3 skin textures and adjust the shading/colour/etc. till it looks right. What looks good on a TS2 skin may not look good on a TS3 skin because the lighting in TS3 makes more of a difference than TS2. For example, the female skintones in TS2 tended to have a lot of dark shading under the breasts - if you do that with a TS3 skin it looks like the breast is bruised, and it looks a lot better if you just do smooth shading that's not very dark in that area. So you will need to test and adjust quite a bit, but it's possible. My TS3 default replacement skins were created using bits and pieces from my TS2 skins.

Good luck!
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Dec 2009 at 1:52 PM Last edited by anie_1981 : 9th Dec 2009 at 1:21 PM.
Thank you very much, I'll try to do something with my old skintones Some of them are really nice.

EDIT:

I do have textures from The Sims 2 in bmp format. Can I use any graphic program to convert them to png? Like Gimp, or Adobe Photoshop?

EDIT 2

I have another problem. I can't force Photoshop to read dds files. I have tried with Adobe Photoshop 6 and 7 and the dds plugin, but nothing can make Photoshop to read those files. In the tutorial there Is no mention about the right version of Adobe Photoshop. So... I can't make the skin.

EDIT 3

Well It won't work.I found the right Photoshop, and looks like skins from The Sims 2 are build differently, and they have different resolutions, I can not just relpace files. I don't have graphic talent.

The subject can be closed.