Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jan 2024 at 7:02 AM
Default How to display .dds images in Windows 11 SourceTextures folder rather than icons
I hope this is the correct place to post this question/issue. If not, I hope someone will move it for me. I've tried all the fixes I could find online regarding my .dds files showing as an icon instead of as the image in the CAW SourceTextures folder on my Windows 11 laptop. I've disabled the "Show icons not thumbnails" settings and tried Paint.net and 123Free as default apps. I downloaded DDS Viewer but couldn't find it to choose as a default for the .dds files. The images are set to "Large" size as I read some sizes don't display thumbnails. The images display fine on my Windows 10 desktop. I can't find any difference in the settings except that the Windows 10 PC doesn't have any default app selected for .dds files. No default app didn't work on the Windows 11 laptop. Could it be a setting I'm not seeing within Paint.net or 123Free? I'm new to Windows 11 so I'm not sure what, if anything, else to do. I'd appreciate any assistance! It's so helpful to be able to open the folder and see all the images to eliminate duplicates or decide which textures I want to use. Thanks!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 2nd Jan 2024 at 7:56 AM
Photoshop being the default app makes mine display, you could try GIMP if you don't have access to that?
Win 11 has a lot of UI changes that mess up workflows that are heavy on moving/renaming files and folders like TS3 work tends to be, that's predominantly why I ended up rolling back

Scribe of tutorials. Oracle of questions at NRaas. Blog staller at thecardinalsims. Feel free to @ me for input on any TS3/TS4 modding questions.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 2nd Jan 2024 at 12:33 PM
I think you'd need a third party app to show DDS thumbnails in Windows.

I use Sagethumbs:
https://www.cherubicsoft.com/en/projects/sagethumbs/
I've not tried it on Windows 11 though.

Nvidia did this app:
https://web.archive.org/web/2016061...ail_viewer.html
It didn't work for me though, but others have had success.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 3rd Jan 2024 at 6:40 PM
This is from my CAW. My items were brought over from a Windows 7 cpu. I have 11 now on this one. 11 is happy with this for me. Wish I could help but this shows you should be able to see them. I have no additional image programs on here so far. I had GIMP but have not put it on here, but these may be GIMP leftovers?

Let me put GIMP back on and see if I can open those images? It is going to take 20 minutes to download. ....................

Mad Poster
#5 Old 3rd Jan 2024 at 7:46 PM
Gimp opens them.

Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Jan 2024 at 12:39 AM
Thanks for your replies! I can open the files with GIMP without any problem. Installing Sagethumbs fixed the issue. Weird, I don't think it's installed on my Windows 10 machines. I guess it's a difference between Windows 10 and 11.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 4th Jan 2024 at 1:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimmyRN
Thanks for your replies! I can open the files with GIMP without any problem. Installing Sagethumbs fixed the issue. Weird, I don't think it's installed on my Windows 10 machines. I guess it's a difference between Windows 10 and 11.

Glad something is working for you now.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 4th Jan 2024 at 11:58 AM
Ooh, do they have native DDSsupport in Win 11 (for the UI thumbnails) then?
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th Jan 2024 at 2:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Ooh, do they have native DDSsupport in Win 11 (for the UI thumbnails) then?

Yes, apparently so. I set GIMP (had already tried a couple other programs) as the default app for dds files but the thumbnails didn't display until I installed Sagethumbs. I didn't have to change any other settings. Now everything has a thumbnail image except the n / tga files. It worked great!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 5th Jan 2024 at 1:41 PM
Oh, so they don't have support for DDS Thumbs? If you had to install GIMP (which has had DDS support for a few years now), and sagethumbs to make Windows show the DDS thumbnails, then that indicates Windows 11 doesn't natively handle DDS. But @daisylee is seeing the thumbs with no additional programmes?
Mad Poster
#11 Old 5th Jan 2024 at 5:50 PM
I only installed GIMP. Again, though my CAW was brought over from a windows 7 CPU. Let me find some new texture that I did not have before and add to CAW and see what happens?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12 Old 5th Jan 2024 at 5:54 PM
Could you enable the file extensions so that we can see if those are DDS files you are showing there, @daisylee ?
Mad Poster
#13 Old 5th Jan 2024 at 6:04 PM
I just added a new one to my CAW and it shows right away. All I need is GIMP to open them.