Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 11:37 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures
Default Problem getting game to use mods
Hi. Sorry for posting this problem in the wrong place before. I followed the instructions, step by step, that MTS3 has so thoughtfully posted on how to place my Mods folder in the new game configuration for Ambitions.

My resource.cfg file looks like this:

Priority 500
PackedFile Packages/*.dbc
PackedFile Packages/*/*.dbc
PackedFile Packages/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*/*.package

I placed this file, properly named and with the correct file extension, in my Mods folder. Now all my custom content is working (both dbc files as well as package files) with no problems, but I cannot get the game to detect any of the mods I want to use. These mods are currently sitting loose in the Packages folder along with my DCCache folder (within that folder I have several subfolders containing my cc, all of which is showing up, as I mentioned).

The mods I have here are the Supercomputer, Story Progression as well as several mods such as Put Away All Books, and Store All Harvestables, by Treeag. The game is recognizing that they are present, because I get the pop up notification warning at the start, just after the game has loaded, which tells me I have script mods installed. Once inside a household, however, none of the proper menus are showing up attached to the relevant objects. That is, there are no extra entries for Master Controller or Put Away All Books etc attached to the appropriate objects. I know these mods are working in the games of other people, so why not me...

To be on the safe side I put an identical copy of the Resource.cfg file into my Ambitions folder in Program Files, and I also checked to make sure that all old Resource.cfg files had been either deleted or moved out of the game so that there would be no confusion. So why is the game recognizing that the mods are there but not actually using them -- (these are the latest versions updated for the patch -- except in the case of Treeag, whose mods someone else mentioned are working, so I was wanting to try them out)

If someone could tell me what I am doing wrong, or offer some suggestions on how to improve the situation with regards to mods so that I can use them again, I would be very grateful.
Advertisement
transmogrified
retired moderator
#2 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 11:41 AM Last edited by mangaroo : 4th Jun 2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: correcting db in URL
Thanks for reposting, artsysimaddict.

Have you installed a d3dx9_31.dll file in the Game\Bin folder for every EP and SP you have installed? Game\Bin is located in the Program Files path:

Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin
Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 <EP/SP name>\Game\Bin

The d3dx9_31.dll file can be downloaded from a link on this page: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...ch_1.12/2.7/3.3
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 11:57 AM
Thank you for your prompt response to my thread.

I can only hope it is something so simple! I thought I had it in every EP bin folder but on just checking a moment ago, I discovered it was in every one except the base game bin folder. (The file is one that I got from the Armoire of Invincibility section of MATY and has always worked in my game before).

I am going to start up the game one more time to see if this fixes the problem. However, I thought that we no longer need the dll files for mods to work (according to EA).
transmogrified
retired moderator
#4 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 12:01 PM
As I understand it, the d3dx9_31.dll is specifically required for script mods, which are the class of mod you've described as not working. I haven't seen anything from EA stating the the d3dx9_31.dll is not required (that doesn't mean I'm right, just that I haven't seen anything).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 12:08 PM Last edited by artsysimaddict : 4th Jun 2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Update
Oops! Come to think of it, I read that information over at NRaas Industries. Twallan mentioned that his mods no longer required it. But since they are not working in my game, I think you are probably correct. The game is still loading a household, but I will be back to report on the results when it does. Thanks again for the prompt advice.

ETA: Sigh. No, adding that dll file did not work. There are still no additional menus attached to objects like the book shelf or the computer. It was a good thought though. I would appreciate reading any other ideas you might have. I am really at a loss about what to do next to get these mods to work.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#6 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 1:02 PM
You stated that all the mods had been updated for Ambitions or reported to be working. Have you ruled out potential conflicts between mods by putting only one in and testing?

Also, if I am reading your first post correctly, the Mods folder in your user files looks like this (can you confirm?):
Mods/Resource.cfg
Mods/Packages/
Mods/Packages/[variousobjects,clothes,orhair].dbc <- showing up
Mods/Packages/[mods].package <- not functioning as expected
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 1:13 PM
Hi, yes. All my clothing, hair, patterns and objects are in the Mods, Packages folders, each in their own subfolders. They are all showing up in the game, and in the buy mode catalogue they all have their own little blue folder icon, and can be placed, used in live mode etc.

The mods I originally had in their own subfolder called "Hacks." When they weren't functioning I took them out of there, thinking that might be the problem and put them all loose in the Packages folder. The Resource.cfg file is sitting in the Mods folder. Does it need to be in the same folder as the Hacks? (Except that is not what it says).

My Resource.cfg file looks like this:

Priority 500
PackedFile Packages/*.dbc
PackedFile Packages/*/*.dbc
PackedFile Packages/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*/*.package

I understood that this configuration should enable the game to find subfolders.

What do you suggest, trying the Treeag mods alone, and then the Twallan mods alone -- (sorry my question mark is not working. I working on my daughter`s computer and she has reassigned a bunch of her keys to French accents etc). But they always played together nicely before. I`m so confused.

I`m off to try using just Twallan`s mods without Treeag's.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#8 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 2:29 PM
As long as your mods are loose or subfoldered in Packages (Mods/Packages/Hacks), they should be fine. I just wanted to verify that they weren't in a separate folder inside the Mods folder itself (i.e., Mods/Hacks <- bad!).

I have only one more suggestion before I admit defeat: have you deleted the cache files, especially scriptCache.package?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 3:03 PM
Hi, again. Yes every time I started up the game, I managed to remember to delete the cache files.

I think I found the problem though. I found an old resource.cfg file lurking in the Game Bin folder of the Base game. It must have been left over from the first time I installed, when I wasn't sure what I was doing yet. I did a search for that file and looked at all the dates of the files and lo and behold this one appeared.

Now the game is working as it should and all the mods are showing. I appreciate all your help because some combination of what you told me probably worked, along with getting rid of this stray file. I guess the lesson is that the game cannot read two Resource.cfg files at once!

To tell you the truth, I don't really know if that is why it is now working, but I am glad it is and just in time, as you were about to give up. Thanks again.

Thanks so much
transmogrified
retired moderator
#10 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 3:18 PM
Thanks for telling us what worked, artsysimaddict. It's good to know what steps to check for others experiencing this same problem, and it's great that you can play your game.