Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th May 2016 at 4:18 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Using Traveler Mod in City Worlds
Can someone elaborate on why it is not safe to use NRAAS Traveler's mod to go to a world marked as a city? I'm asking here as opposed to the actual NRAAS site because this is the only place where I have ever seen this mentioned and was quite surprised as I've used Traveler for years now and have even moved Sims to and from city worlds with no issues. I'm about to do it again to move a Sim to the city version of Barcelona and saw that nilxis said the city version would not work with Traveler. After rereading the FAQ again thoroughly and going through a long search, the only information I could find was this mention and nowhere else.

There's no other mention or discussion on this anywhere that I could find so is this based on the anecdotal evidence of others on this site because like I said, I've had no issues in doing this.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th May 2016 at 12:13 AM
It's a long time since I experimented with this, and the Traveler Mod may be very different now to when I was building worlds. But the problem I had was that city worlds would reset to their default state upon returning from travelling.

I found a more recent post here that touches on this and implies that the fault is with the way that the custom world is identified:
http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...455#post4982455
Perhaps @igazor can elaborate on this and explain what has to be done to a custom city to prevent Traveler issues, as this could be handy information! The data I currently have for flagging a custom world as a city is in this thread:
http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=424374
Mad Poster
#3 Old 8th May 2016 at 2:07 AM
Ooh, let me dazzle and impress you with everything I know about the mechanics of CAW. (sounds of crickets chirping) Okay, I'm done.

From what I understand, a custom world that is not ID'ed properly will behave the way in which @simsample describes -- upon return travel, the sims will land in a freshly generated instance of a world (either the source or the destination) and the world they knew with its sims can become unreachable. That has nothing to do with whether the world is a city or non-city type. What exactly one is supposed to do with a world in its design stage to prevent that from happening is, I'm afraid, beyond me. But I've tested out some custom worlds from less than the most reliable of designers in my Traveler structure for other players and have seen this happen with non-city worlds. Most of them were so badly designed in other ways, though, that they were pretty much unplayable even as stand-alones and were just nice looking routing disasters waiting to happen.

I suspect that most designers who know their way around CAW would not routinely ever let this happen, whatever it is. For more details, perhaps a post at NRaas?

One thing being worked on now it that is has been discovered that all custom worlds and four EA ones have been acting up in another way because they are all functioning as if their internal IDs were all zeros. Not to the horrible level described above, but sims' relationships to others in foreign worlds were breaking as they travel around. The four EA worlds are Barnacle Bay, Hidden Springs, Lucky Palms, and Lunar Lakes, the four earliest store worlds (not counting Riverview). This particular issue is being addressed with a new version of Traveler (v87) currently in beta testing but available for all who wish to try it. I've had in play for a while and it does squash that particular bug with these worlds.
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Traveler+Testing

Hope some of that helps...
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th May 2016 at 3:51 AM
Super helpful! Thank you both! Just another reason to be more careful about the worlds I download.

And good to know about the next version of Traveler coming out as I play Lucky Palms as one of my main custom hoods and have noticed that Sims do not keep relationships when they travel.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 8th May 2016 at 1:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
From what I understand, a custom world that is not ID'ed properly will behave the way in which @simsample describes -- upon return travel, the sims will land in a freshly generated instance of a world (either the source or the destination) and the world they knew with its sims can become unreachable. That has nothing to do with whether the world is a city or non-city type.

I've not come across this problem unless the world was a city (but it is a long time since I played with Sims 3 or CAW ). I'm not sure what you mean by 'ID'ed properly'- CAW defines the ID of the world automatically, and the city flag concerns a completely different resource. Maybe someone with more recent experience can shine some light on this!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th May 2016 at 4:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I've not come across this problem unless the world was a city (but it is a long time since I played with Sims 3 or CAW ). I'm not sure what you mean by 'ID'ed properly'- CAW defines the ID of the world automatically, and the city flag concerns a completely different resource. Maybe someone with more recent experience can shine some light on this!

Considering I've not had this problem (so far, knock on wood) with city worlds, I am loath to believe that is solely the result of a world being flagged as a city since I've used both Fairhaven City and Devil's Port as part of my interconnected world. Can you name which city worlds, if you remember, you had the problems with?

I will also try to reach out to nilxis to ask about her Barcelona city world as she had said it will not work with Traveler (I'm testing it today to go on vacation actually so I'll report back).
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 8th May 2016 at 4:48 PM
Are Fairhaven City and Devil's Port actually flagged as city worlds? I can't find any info to support this. I don't have Sims 3 or CAW installed any more sorry, so I can't check or test this. It also appears that Nilxis has two versions of Barcelona available- a suburb and a city- so you could try both.
http://nilxisdesigns.blogspot.co.uk...na-english.html

I had the problem with worlds I was making that I attempted to flag as cities using both manual edit and SuperCAW- plus I remember others reporting the issue. It could be that later versions of CAW and/or Traveler did not have this trouble.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 8th May 2016 at 8:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Are Fairhaven City and Devil's Port actually flagged as city worlds? I can't find any info to support this. I don't have Sims 3 or CAW installed any more sorry, so I can't check or test this. It also appears that Nilxis has two versions of Barcelona available- a suburb and a city- so you could try both.
http://nilxisdesigns.blogspot.co.uk...na-english.html

I had the problem with worlds I was making that I attempted to flag as cities using both manual edit and SuperCAW- plus I remember others reporting the issue. It could be that later versions of CAW and/or Traveler did not have this trouble.

Yes, both Fairhaven and Devil's Port are flagged as cities (they have the city icon in the main menu and all city properties) and both work fine in Traveler mod. I'm playing Barcelona (city version) now as we speak so we'll see if there are any problems in this one but so far in my two out of three experiences using the mod with cities, I've had no issues, the third still pending but I guess we'll see if that's the case in an hour or so when I head back to my main hood.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 8th May 2016 at 8:54 PM
You won't see the problem in your main hood- what I was seeing was that cities were losing progress when returned to, so whatever changes you make in Barcelona will not be there the next time you visit.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#10 Old 9th May 2016 at 1:16 AM
I never had that problem in Fairhaven or Devil's Port where I have families that I go back to and play and all my progress, inventory items, even wishes all remain with them. Do you mean physical changes?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 9th May 2016 at 7:05 AM
As in a fresh instance of the world (as described in post #3). If you're not seeing it then maybe it's been fixed in later gameversions/ CAW versions/ Traveler versions.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#12 Old 10th May 2016 at 12:40 AM
It seems like that is the case since I've no instance of it. Good to know!