Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jan 2011 at 8:01 PM
Default Help with some UV Mapping
I just need to get some info, Im making a 1x1 square chair with a matching 2x1 table. The meshes themselves came out fine, but the mapping is a little blurry for the textures. So far I made a UV of 512x512 for the table where the surface of the table is taking up a quarter of the space. I thought this would be enough and would just need to know if they need to be bigger or smaller to fix the resolution of the textures.

Just found that I could upload the mapping, For the table, its the one with the giant two rectangles. The chair part for the seat is the circles and some of the rectangles on the top. Again I just need some details on how big the meshes need to be for the textures to not look blurry.
Screenshots

-DuffDog-

-I AM taking BASIC requests.-
-Just PM to see if I might be able to do it.-
Advertisement
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#2 Old 13th Jan 2011 at 8:16 PM
There are some pieces that look like they could share the same space. You could do that and you would have more room to scale up you map. I would try that before making the image bigger.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Instructor
#3 Old 14th Jan 2011 at 12:13 AM
Your Uv map needs to be in the right proportions, if you make a 2x1 table on a 512x512 map the surface of that table needs to take up half of the map.
And the rest of the table mapped in proportion to the surface.
It doesn't really matter what size map you use ( unless the mesh is very detailed) as long as everything is mapped in the right proportions to each other, if you know what I mean.
The same goes for your chair, you do have bits there what you don't see in the game, like the bottom of the legs, you can map them very small.
You should move some pieces closer together to give yourself some more room to make others larger.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Jan 2011 at 4:36 AM
If I use a map size of 1024 by 1024 for the table would I be able to keep the existing mapin theory? I understand some details will come up that will require tweaking but will it help the resolution of the texture onto the item? Also will TSR Workshop be able to use a bigger map.

Thank you also both of you guys for a quick response.

-DuffDog-

-I AM taking BASIC requests.-
-Just PM to see if I might be able to do it.-
Alchemist
#5 Old 14th Jan 2011 at 1:30 PM
Simply making the size of the overall map larger, without changing the amount of space any given part of the object is allocated on that map, isn't necessarily going to solve your issue.

What often works to solve a blurriness problem is giving each portion of the object a greater percentage of the space on the map while keeping the map itself the same size.

One way to accomplish this is to do as Cmo said. That is take parts of the object that are going to have the same pattern applied and the same shadowing and put those in the same exact space on the map. In the case of a table, often the four legs can share a spot on the map as can opposite edges of the top.

As Dee said, parts of the object that aren't going to show much can be allocated a very small space on the map. In the case of your table, the undersurface of it could be given a small space on the map or, alternatively, it could be moved to share space with the table top after you create your greyscale map for the object.

I'm pretty sure TSRW will allow you to use an IMG that is 1024 x 1024 but with the object you've shown you really shouldn't need that much space. What you're showing there could easily fit on a 512 x 512 IMG without having blurriness problems.
Inventor
#6 Old 15th Jan 2011 at 6:38 AM
Hi! Not to hi-jack this thread or anything but orangemittens can you explain this a little better?

"One way to accomplish this is to do as Cmo said. That is take parts of the object that are going to have the same pattern applied and the same shadowing and put those in the same exact space on the map. In the case of a table, often the four legs can share a spot on the map as can opposite edges of the top. "

Do you mean that the four legs could be stacked on top of each other to save space? I've been having the same problem as duffdog with my uvmap...although I am using the space up well on the uvmap, it just still seems a bit blurry..

Curvalicious Sims 2 (My website, only sims 2 stuff currently)Curvalicious Sims2

For more great content check out PMBD

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#7 Old 15th Jan 2011 at 3:09 PM
Yep that is what she means. Anything that you want textured identical should share the same space on the uvmap. The easiest way to do this for say a table, is when meshing create one leg, map it, then duplicate it. All are mapped identical and share the same uvmap space with little work from you.

While EA's furniture design and ability to complete sets is questionable, they do know how to uvmap (sometimes). If you map your new object similar and fill the uvmap like the original it shouldn't be blurry. Example, a 2 tile table typically has the top covering 256x512 of the image and a 1 tile table typically has the top covering 256x256 of the image.
Inventor
#8 Old 15th Jan 2011 at 3:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Yep that is what she means. Anything that you want textured identical should share the same space on the uvmap. The easiest way to do this for say a table, is when meshing create one leg, map it, then duplicate it. All are mapped identical and share the same uvmap space with little work from you.

While EA's furniture design and ability to complete sets is questionable, they do know how to uvmap (sometimes). If you map your new object similar and fill the uvmap like the original it shouldn't be blurry. Example, a 2 tile table typically has the top covering 256x512 of the image and a 1 tile table typically has the top covering 256x256 of the image.

Thanks!!! That helps a lot!!!!

Curvalicious Sims 2 (My website, only sims 2 stuff currently)Curvalicious Sims2

For more great content check out PMBD