Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 5:02 PM
Default Mesh problem
I followed the tutorial on the mesh tool site and used the same base object. The new mesh was a simple cube to use as a "test".

In game, the object looks like this:

http://premium1.uploadit.org/Sashin//TableTest.jpg

In my 3D editor it looks like this:

http://premium1.uploadit.org/Sashin//TableTest2.jpg

The base object looks like this in my 3D editor:

http://premium1.uploadit.org/Sashin//TableTest3.jpg

And in the game it's perfect, as you can see in the first pic.

Can someone tell me why I have those holes? It happens with any mesh I use. I've tried rotating, scaling and moving the object, but nothing happens. Spheres look like wireframe and flat surfaces are cut diagonally, as shown in the cube.

Thanx,
Sash

P.S. The texture works fine, it's just the mesh.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 5:21 PM
This is a bit of a complicated explanation, but I'm not sure if I can simplify it without having the same software and models that you are using. (Plus, I've yet to import an object in the game as my meshtool doesn't seem to want to use the new mesh and always stays with the old mesh - but that's another story).

It looks to me, though, that it's a matter of normals and mapping. In your editor, make sure that your cube is set to an isometric map and not a boxmap. Then, you want to make sure that you map a transparency channel (with a white image in there so nothing is transparent) on your object before exporting it from your 3D modeler. (It looks like either a) your cube has half of it's normals inverted and/or b) it's got a tranparency map from the table that is making parts of it vanish (and since it's boxmaped, it's showing up the way it is in the game).

Or something like that. Play around and hopefully even if this answer isn't exactly right, it'll point you in the right direction of where to look.

X.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 7:22 PM
Thanks for the tips Xenos.

My 3D editor doesn't seem to be able to fix the normals. It can, however, flip them, but this seems to do nothing.

I don't think the table HAD a transparency which could have transferred to the box, so that's not the problem.

As for that isometric thing...I have no idea what you are talking about. :-p. Sorry. What do you mean by "boxmap" and "isometric map"? I haven't used my 3D editor for anything major, so I haven't come across those terms before.

Currently, I have found a temporary way of overcoming this problem. I simply copy the object and rotate it so that the parts that show on the copied object cover the holes on the old one. Then I group them together to make one object. This solution, unfortunately, makes the object flicker in the game, and also gives it a high polygon count.

Just for some more info on this problem:

In the preview in SimPE and in the Mesh Tool, the holes still appear. If I export the object with holes from SimPE, and then open it up in my editor, the holes appear in the editor too.

I don't know if that helps at all.

Anyway, anyone who has any more answers, please tell me.

Thanx,
Sash
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 8:25 PM
Odd. Then it must be something in the mesh tool or how you are exporting and not mapping. Do you have an option to "weld vertices" when you first export the object? Try setting that to "yes" if you do. Beyond that, I'm not sure if I can be more help to you. Sorry.

X.
Nearly alive
#5 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 8:53 PM Last edited by Miche : 13th Feb 2005 at 8:57 PM.
It could be that your object has faces which aren`t made out of triangles.
The mesh tool (and the game) only supports objects which have faces which are triangles.

If you post your obj file, I`ll be able to tell you if this is the problem.

If that isn`t the problem , then it is likely to be a normal problem.

And please can people remember to post problems/ questions on the mesh tool in the mesh tool FAQ and help thread.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 11:29 PM
Miche, you are the best. It was a triangle problem. Luckily my editor has an option to "triangulate" objects. So I did that and it works perfectly.

Sorry for not posting this in the FAQ. I wasn't sure if it was my fault or a problem with the mesh tool.

Thanks again to Xenos and Miche for the tips.

Sash
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 11:44 PM
Doh! I should have thought of that. Sorry - and glad you folks sorted it out!

X.
Test Subject
#8 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 10:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Miche
It could be that your object has faces which aren`t made out of triangles.
The mesh tool (and the game) only supports objects which have faces which are triangles.

AHA!!!!!! Now I know why my dumpster is missing sides. And here I was cursing ancient Mesopotamian gods for making my modding difficult for no other reason than they were bored. I wonder how many times I missed the 'This tool only supports triangles' sentences in threads. Gah. Thanks for the info, Miche.

Oh hell.

Now I've got to redo the UV map. :banghead:

The ancient Mesopotamian gods ARE laughing now... I can hear them chortling.
Test Subject
#9 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 10:43 AM
Quote:
Luckily my editor has an option to "triangulate" objects

What are you using, mine doesn't seem to have this and I get your problem. Thanks!
Test Subject
#10 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 10:13 PM
Hi! Can I ask here something about the creation of meshes? I don't want to open another topic regarding always problems.

Yesterday, finally, I tried creating meshes but I have some problems. I 've exported the same clothe of the tutorial (afbodydresslongloose), I follow correctly every step but when I import my obj file (I've used Blender), Body Shop shows me always the original mesh. Then, I've tried again. I've deleted all the files about the first mesh and I tried exporting another clothe. This time, before exporting to obj, I see (as the tutorial says at the no.25) if in Body Shop there's the correct mesh. But always (I tried 6 times!) it shows me another clothe! The name is afbodydresslonghug and is that with a long skirt and a sort of rope at the neck. Twice I tried to continue with the creation but the mesh is always the same.
I've also tried with a different clothe, with a skirt, but always it shows me another mesh.
I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling The Sims2, because I was in the dubt that some file could be corrupt (is it right in english? I think no), but the result is always the same.

I've used SimPE 020.

Please, could somebody help me?
I'll be always grateful to you!
Nearly alive
#11 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 11:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Black_Panther
Hi! Can I ask here something about the creation of meshes? I don't want to open another topic regarding always problems.

Yesterday, finally, I tried creating meshes but I have some problems. I 've exported the same clothe of the tutorial (afbodydresslongloose), I follow correctly every step but when I import my obj file (I've used Blender), Body Shop shows me always the original mesh. Then, I've tried again. I've deleted all the files about the first mesh and I tried exporting another clothe. This time, before exporting to obj, I see (as the tutorial says at the no.25) if in Body Shop there's the correct mesh. But always (I tried 6 times!) it shows me another clothe! The name is afbodydresslonghug and is that with a long skirt and a sort of rope at the neck. Twice I tried to continue with the creation but the mesh is always the same.
I've also tried with a different clothe, with a skirt, but always it shows me another mesh.
I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling The Sims2, because I was in the dubt that some file could be corrupt (is it right in english? I think no), but the result is always the same.

I've used SimPE 020.

Please, could somebody help me?
I'll be always grateful to you!

I`m really not sure what you mean here, but if this is a problem with the mesh tool you are having can you post it in the mesh tool help and FAQ thread, if it`s a problem with SimPE then post it in the main tool forum.
Locked thread