Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Oct 2023 at 12:10 PM
Default Silkenshore (a slow burn rotational LP)

Hello! I'm a returning sims 2 player starting a new LP on angellasimmer's whales island map !

My plan is to slowly build up the hood as sims move in and start to own and need different kinds of services, and for most of those services be owned by sims actually on the island (where it makes sense to do so).

THEMES:
- small town living
- interpersonal drama
- wants based (with the occasional wrench thrown in for fun)
- slow town growth over time (branching into subhoods?)
- generational gameplay

VIBES/goals:
- slow, chill play
- background listenable
- each business owned by a sim (unless it doesn't make sense)
- primarily using sim owned businesses whenever possible (groceries, etc)
- usage and upkeep of google sheets and my family tree to keep track of the sims in and out of game
- active neighborhood story updating and upkeep, including writing short story bits and editing screenshots in a near maxis style

YES, that INCLUDES the fantastic, LOW RESOLUTION SCREENSHOTS and editing them in together. None of that off camera homework stuff to see here!
(i understand that's not for everyone, but the chartkeeping and the screenshot editing and storytelling is something I like seeing so it's included here - depending on feedback received I may divert it to separate "homework episodes" in the future)

MODS?
- yes, tons
- my DL folder is a mess tbh
- but i'll try to make note of things as they come

I have already posted two episodes (playlist link ) and am already wanting to upload more

In the FIRST episode I create my first sims, and go over some of the details on how I'll manage the households and genetics throughout the let's play, as well as well build the first family's home and start playing as them.

In the SECOND episode I make a first pass on the island's detailing, as well as build the first major employer of the town - the Marine Research Center.

Overall, it's great to be back playing the sims. I originally got started with the s1 and was playing s2 when it came out but it has been quite some time since I've last played it. I'm open to more ideas and feedback as well, whether that's for storylines or character ideas or for the "homework" or video editing. This is pretty new for me, but I am looking forward to it as a new hobby that combines a lot of the stuff I have enjoyed in other ways.

Welcome to Silkenshore!
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 29th Oct 2023 at 4:27 PM

Episode three is out! In this episode I do some homework I forgot in the first episode and we take screenshots and edit them to fit to the ingame neighborhood stories using clip studio paint! Then we go ahead and build a motel for all new residents to stay at before they get established into their own houses

Episode 4 has also now been recorded and is in the editing stage!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Nov 2023 at 9:22 AM
In an effort to avoid spamming I'll stop updating here, but will keep posting on YT! at the time of this post, episodes up to #9 are up, and up to #12 have been recorded and edited, just queued up to post.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 16th Nov 2023 at 11:26 PM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 17th Nov 2023 at 12:22 AM.
Just to let you know that I'm watching your Silkenshore videos, though I have to admit I'm still on Episode 2. I can get set in my ways, having played The Sims 2 almost every day for very nearly eleven years now, and it's good to sometimes watch how somebody else does things.

I was in two minds whether to post replies here or comments on YouTube, but, if I post here, you can answer my posts without being accused of double posting.

(I have already posted a couple of comments on YouTube.)

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Nov 2023 at 7:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
Just to let you know that I'm watching your Silkenshore videos, though I have to admit I'm still on Episode 2. I can get set in my ways, having played The Sims 2 almost every day for very nearly eleven years now, and it's good to sometimes watch how somebody else does things.

I was in two minds whether to post replies here or comments on YouTube, but, if I post here, you can answer my posts without being accused of double posting.

(I have already posted a couple of comments on YouTube.)

Thank you for the comment(s)! I'm always a bit unsure about the forum etiquette - I used to be quite active on a lot of them when they were more of a thing in the past, but only check one (apart from this one) and the local "culture" can be different between the two : D

I've definitely been inspired and on a roll lately, so there's been a lot of content! I try to keep playing, and having a couple of videos on "reserve" at all times queued to post weekly so in case something happens there'll still be updates out there : D Naturally, this also means that if I CAN do more, there will be more videos and more will be uploaded too. Not too fussed about it, s2 is an old game anyway so any content is relatively evergreen at this point, keeping track of trends or stuff like that isn't as important as just having fun is. I hope you'll enjoy the series too, even if the episodes are pretty casual and longform!

Currently there are episodes up to #10 posted, #13 edited and queued, and I'm in the middle of recording and editing #14!

Also this is less directed at you and more towards people (including myself) who may be looking for the direct links later and for the sake of not having a jump in links as I keep posting lol

EP#4 here
EP#5 here
EP#6 here
EP#7 here
EP#8 here
EP#9 here
EP#10 here
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 24th Nov 2023 at 9:36 PM
EP#11
EP#12
I've been on a real roll, and a lot of episodes have been queued up as well, fully edited!
Instructor
#7 Old 24th Nov 2023 at 11:32 PM
I just wanted to say I watced the first three episodes today while I was busy with a craft project and enjoyed them very much. Thanks for sharing your gameplay, the tempo is perfect for me !
Mad Poster
#8 Old 26th Nov 2023 at 12:07 AM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 26th Nov 2023 at 1:22 AM.
I'm still only half way through watching Episode 2, so you probably know this already, but in my game the "Simgreek" letters (as used in naming Greek Houses at universities) are to be found in Decorative / Wall Hangings. They are available on both Residential and Community lots. So I think it must be that mod you mentioned that's stopping them showing up in your Marine Research Establishment (or whatever it's called).

[EDIT] I've now watched Episode 2 to the end. A few things I would add:
Telephones on the office desks.
I'd also put a wall telephone in or near the cafeteria, possibly near the vending machines. (In my game very few of my Sims have mobile 'phones (cellphones), so I have to provide enough ordinary landline 'phones for them.)

I would try to make the entrance hall bright and welcoming. After all that's the first impression that visitors get. I'd probably use Pristine White Marble flooring, and I think I'd put a receptionist's desk near the door. Probably with a telephone and a computer on it. But most important in a Marine Research facility, it really must have an aquarium in the entrance hall. After all, that's what the whole place is about!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 25th Dec 2023 at 8:15 PM Last edited by ronniefinn : 26th Dec 2023 at 8:10 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by AnMal
I just wanted to say I watced the first three episodes today while I was busy with a craft project and enjoyed them very much. Thanks for sharing your gameplay, the tempo is perfect for me !

Thank you! I also like kind of slow gameplay just to put in the background and figured there might be others who like it too!

Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I'm still only half way through watching Episode 2, so you probably know this already, but in my game the "Simgreek" letters (as used in naming Greek Houses at universities) are to be found in Decorative / Wall Hangings. They are available on both Residential and Community lots. So I think it must be that mod you mentioned that's stopping them showing up in your Marine Research Establishment (or whatever it's called).

[EDIT] I've now watched Episode 2 to the end. A few things I would add:
Telephones on the office desks.
I'd also put a wall telephone in or near the cafeteria, possibly near the vending machines. (In my game very few of my Sims have mobile 'phones (cellphones), so I have to provide enough ordinary landline 'phones for them.)

I would try to make the entrance hall bright and welcoming. After all that's the first impression that visitors get. I'd probably use Pristine White Marble flooring, and I think I'd put a receptionist's desk near the door. Probably with a telephone and a computer on it. But most important in a Marine Research facility, it really must have an aquarium in the entrance hall. After all, that's what the whole place is about!

Ahh! I found them... way too late :,D All of the locations make sense, I just need to readjust to some things (and perhaps pay more attention - I can sometimes just gloss over stuff and have to cut it out later haha)! (for me they are nor in the misc/misc with a lot of other signage!)

Telephones are such a good idea - I won't have mobiles in town for a long time, so that would be super useful... perhaps there's a round of renovations in order as the town grows and I can adjust the floor and add aquariums while at it. It would definitely make sense!

Also to keep things less spammy and to keep all the relevant things in a single comment rather than multiple, here are the direct links to the rest of the episodes currently out:
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 29th Dec 2023 at 11:07 PM
Updates!

EP20 "Babes and Babies"
We go back to Dewdrop & Blunder Glistengold, who are going through a lot right now....

And to those that want to jump along at this point or just want a refresher - a recap of episodes 1-20 HERE
I show a recap of all the story bits so far, as well as what we've been building!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 4th Jan 2024 at 3:33 PM
Episode 21.0 is up!

I'm experimenting with episode lenghts a little bit, with this episode being divided into halves for easier viewing! The second part is queued to post later
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 3rd Apr 2024 at 5:32 PM
I just wanted to pop in - I don't want to keep spamming too much, but have kept posting twice a week and now we're up to episode 44! The town has grown a lot and it's been a lot of fun seeing how all the stories are coming up - my favorite is the entire DRAMA that's been going on with the elders of the Letterman family. I never really played with elders when I was younger, so seeing them so interconnected to the community and with vibrant, compelling lives has been a lot of fun in comparison to how I used to play.

I have a playlist to the series here , and they're pretty good for anyone who's looking to have something to have in the background while they work, craft or do housework. The episodes are usually 1-2h long, with the shortest around 20 (soon to be uploaded) and the longest just over 3h.