Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Oct 2008 at 7:58 PM Last edited by Manga_Moon : 28th Oct 2008 at 12:58 PM.
Surface Placement, Lighting, Animated Textures & TV's (Solved + useful Resource)
There are a few things which I need to know to be able to create an object so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Does anyone know how to;
Change the 'off screen' texture on TV's
Make objects placeable on Surfaces
Make lights able to cast light on walls and such
Create an animated texture (Have read this http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=82395 but only covers recolouring and not how to actually animate the texture).

Thanks in advance! Manga xx
Advertisement
#2 Old 27th Oct 2008 at 8:52 PM
The first can be done. I know because Numinor has done it, and I have one of his televisions in my game. I don`t know how, myself.
The second can be done. The only way I know is to clone your object from one that already can be placed on surfaces.
I do not know if the third can be done or not.

Good luck!

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Oct 2008 at 8:56 PM
Thanks for the help. I'm so sure I had seen a tutorial somewhere on making objects placeable on surfaces but I just cannot find where it was. And I'll have to ask Numenor about his TV.

As for the lights, I mean something like this: http://nene.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=209823

Look at the wall lights, how they cast that light on the wall, was wondering how that was done. I know that it's on a plane like a shadow with the light texture on it but wasn't sure how to make it only appear when turned on.
#4 Old 27th Oct 2008 at 9:24 PM
Thanks for the link! I like that set. I don`t know enough to figure out how to do that, but it looks to me like he has a wall overlay that shares BHAVs with lamps. You could always open his object in SimPE and sus out what he did. I don`t suppose you could just place his wall overlay under your own lamps? ....Nah, I didn`t think so.

...As for the fourth item on your list, I can`t help there either, and I didn`t mention it before because it wasn`t there then.

world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#5 Old 27th Oct 2008 at 9:27 PM
I'm not sure exactly what you're confused about with animating a texture - that shows you how to set up your image for it, and how to enable the animation in the TXMT. That's really all you need to do - make a texture that works for it, and tell the TXMT how many frames across and down, and how fast to animate. Maybe you're overcomplicating it in your head or something? It really is just as simple as explained there.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Oct 2008 at 9:51 PM Last edited by Manga_Moon : 27th Oct 2008 at 9:56 PM.
Thanks for your further help on the lamps, GeneralOperationsDirector. I really appreciate your help. I shall have to have a look. I had suspected some sort of on/off trigger thing in the BHAVs the same as the material changing when it's turned on and off.

Oh, Maybe I am trying to over-complicate things. I had read through it but the thread title being 'Cell Recolour' I just thought it showed you how to set it up for the recolour of that painting given. I must have completely missed Step 12, but I understand now.

Thankyou HP
The ModFather
retired moderator
#7 Old 28th Oct 2008 at 12:06 AM
Manga Moon, you ask many questions; you definitely look like one that desires to learn, but this requires you to study a little I can briefly explaining something, but I can't explain everything in detail, of course. If something I will say is obscure to you, perhaps you just have to wait until you become expert with simpler things. However, I'm always glad to point creators in the right direction
One general suggestion: the BEST way to learn how things work, beside reading tutorials, is to LOOK inside other creators' packages. There's nothing bad in examining other people's work, as long as you just look and learn!

1) Change the 'off screen' texture on TV's: there are three alternative solutions. Targa, some times ago, created a global mod, that forced all the TV's to apply a custom "screen off" texture. I didn't like the "global mod solution", and therefore I've created a special TV that contains all the code needed to display the custom "screen off" (my TV does NOT rely on the global routines used by all the other TV's: everything is inside the package). The third solution is much smarter, but I thought of it only after creating my TV You can create a second screen, invisible when the TV is on, and visible when the TV is off; the global routines always apply the usual, boring "screen off" texture to the screen, but you can't see it, because the screen is hidden under another screen, with your custom texture on it

2) Make objects placeable on Surfaces: read HERE.

3) Make lights able to cast light on walls and such: GeneralOperations is right, that effect is obtaining using an overlay applied on the wall. Open the lamps from the thread you mention, and examine the mesh: the overlays are named "glowpattern" and "southwalllightpattern". They are made visible/invisible when needed by the BHAVs "CT - Light - ON" and "CT - Light - OFF" contained in every lamp. These BHAVs, in detail, apply one of the textures listed in the Text Lists 0x88 to one of the subset listed in the Text List 0x87.

4) Create an animated texture: you already found the best explanation available at MTS2; as HP said, it's not very difficult: you just have to read (and re-read, if needed ) with attention; if you need explanations on specific points, you can ask in that thread (don't expect to receive an answer from JWoods in person, though )

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
#8 Old 28th Oct 2008 at 4:18 AM
You`re welcome, Manga_Moon. I like to help, but I don`t know much yet, and the "big guns" are on-board now, so I`ll just sit back and watch, untill I see something else I can help with.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Oct 2008 at 6:21 AM Last edited by Manga_Moon : 28th Oct 2008 at 10:16 AM.
Wow thanks ever so much Numenor! You don't know how much your help means The TV Idea about the screen turning visible / invisible is a good idea I already have one overlay on this TV which is a semi-transparent reflective mirror thing like the shiny walls and floors to make the screen glossy.

Thanks to everyone else who helped aswell!

Edit: Thread renamed as resource for other users.