Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Moderator of Camera Models
retired moderator
#26 Old 15th Jan 2006 at 12:45 PM
The PS3 is using Cell technology which is a proprietary CPU design by Sony. It will give the PS3 a slight edge, however the two systems will end up roughtly similar despite the extra power of the PS3 since developers have already said the tools for using the PS3 are notably less powerful than the 360. In other words the 360 will hit its full potential very early on whereas the PS3 will require a lot more time with the system to find out the tricks to take full advantage of its Cell processor technology.

*** Games Journalist with the magazines PC Powerplay and Hyper ***

And guys don't say a game is 'addicting'. That is a horrible massacre of the English language. The word is 'addictive'. Thank you. :)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 15th Jan 2006 at 1:12 PM
Well, the xbox360 has the better GPU, doesn't the processer just make speed (for the ps3) ie frame rate?
#28 Old 15th Jan 2006 at 4:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Conspiracey
ss180, how have sony got the better technology?

PS3 vrs Xbox 360 specs: http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-x-1985-x-x-x

IMO, the Cell processor is more powerful than the Xbox360's, even though it's mostly optimized for floating point operations.
Scholar
#29 Old 15th Jan 2006 at 7:10 PM
I'm no expert, but I maintain that tech specs won't decide which system is better--especially in regard to the fact that the gap between the PS3 and the Xbox 360 is far smaller than the technological gap that existed between the PS2 and the original Xbox.

"We're on sob day two of Operation Weeping-Bald-Eagle-Liberty-Never-Forget-Freedom-Watch sniff no word yet sob on our missing patriot Glenn Beck sob as alleged-President Hussein Obama shows his explicit support sniff for his fellow communists by ruling out the nuclear option."
retired moderator
#30 Old 15th Jan 2006 at 10:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Conspiracey
Well, the xbox360 has the better GPU, doesn't the processer just make speed (for the ps3) ie frame rate?

No, the GPU has the strongest role to play in frames per second. The CPU is for things such as the AI, physics, etc... of course if the CPU is underpowered too then pushing it too hard will result in frame drops.

And guys don't say a game is 'addicting'. That is a horrible massacre of the English language. The word is 'addictive'. Thank you. :)
Test Subject
#31 Old 8th Feb 2006 at 3:05 AM
uhh...*squints eyes in confusion* YEAH uh huh i agree...hehehe?
I kinda like the ps3 a little bit more because the x-box came out too fast if you ask me.We wont find out till later if that was a good marketing plan or not.*squirms for the revolution*

If people could read my mind they would go slowly insane....O__o
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 10th Feb 2006 at 9:51 PM
Soooo....does the 360 have "more" than enough CPU power? I heard/know it's 9 gig, whereas PS3 is 21? Why would they need that? What would it do with an "inferior" GFX card?
Inventor
#33 Old 11th Feb 2006 at 4:36 PM
PS3 is NOT 21 Ghz. The 360 is not 9 Ghz either. To understand the positions of Sony and Microsoft, we need to backtrack to November 2001. The Xbox has just came out and is more powerful than the PS2. While the PS2 has a 333 Mhz processor (which was underclocked by Sony!), the Xbox has 700-something Mhz (I forgot, it was fricking 5 years ago!) and uses a NVidia GPU. But the Xbox loses because many gaming fans already own a PS2 (which came out in 2000). SEGA is crippled to near-death, and the pillars of Nintendo are starting to crack under the pressure. The Microsoft - NVidia relationship is thriving.

Now we fast forward to E3 2005. Nintendo is trying to rebuild the broken framing by making the Revolution, while everyone knows that this was the stupidest mistake a company could make. Microsoft has just sued NVIdia because NVidia was overcharging Microsoft for the Xbox GPU, and NVidia wants revenge! So NVidia and IBM team with Sony to build the PS3, and ATI joins Microsoft and IBM (IBM is a traitor!) also joins Team Xbox 360. So now ATI is with Microsoft for the GPU, and NVidia with Sony for the GPU. And both use IBM's PowerPC cores for their CPUs. That leaves RAM, both for the CPU and GPU. The PS3 dedicates 256MB to each, while the Xbox shares 512MB between the two. The 360 has a more efficient system (For instance, if there is a game that needs 384MB GPU memory and only 128MB of RAM, the 360 could handle it. The PS3 could handle the game itself if they do apply a system that allows integated graphics when needed, but the graphics wouldn't be as good) however. Xbox Live is a big advantage to the 360, however.

Now we go to November 22, 2006. Many US fans of the Xbox are waiting for the 360, only to find out that all the 360s are gone! Critics say that Microsoft did this on purpose, when they didn't. Think about it. If Microsoft wins in Japan, it will win ALL of the US, reason being that many Sony fanboys and girls living in the US and other areas of the world are mainly sticking because of Sony's dominance in Japan. Microsoft is better for most US developers, because all the developers know that the Xbox has put up a real fight for North America, and that is why they released in North America first. But without Europe, oyu can't take North America. So that is why Europe is second in line for the release. But Microsoft knows that they NEED Japan to win Europe, because many European developers make Japanese games, like Team17. So that is why Japan is third. They want to keep their US and European fans, while winning over the Japanese. So they need all three.

Now we come back to present day. Hopefully, if you read all the posts including this one, you will understand.
Scholar
#34 Old 11th Feb 2006 at 5:21 PM
And thus, we have the makings of Mod_Bv's latest thriller novel, "The Console and the Kremlin", on bookstores whenever the PS3 should launch!

"We're on sob day two of Operation Weeping-Bald-Eagle-Liberty-Never-Forget-Freedom-Watch sniff no word yet sob on our missing patriot Glenn Beck sob as alleged-President Hussein Obama shows his explicit support sniff for his fellow communists by ruling out the nuclear option."
Inventor
#35 Old 11th Feb 2006 at 6:44 PM
Thanks, Synthesis! Also, I just heard that the Nintendo Revolution will sell at $200. Only thing is that by the time the Revolution is out, there may be the 360 Premium sitting on a shelf for $200 or so.
retired moderator
#36 Old 11th Feb 2006 at 7:57 PM
Success in North America is dependant on one thing and one thing only... the North American market. Same with Europe and same with Japan.

Console wars are fought and won on the casual gamer. This gamer couldn't give two hoots about what is popular in Japan and likely will never find out who is top dog in the land of the rising sun.

As gamers you need to step back from what gamers want and realise what the general public wants. People who really care about games are going to be the only ones who take note of who has which developer in Japan, the greater percentage of the market simply don't care.

retired moderator
#37 Old 16th Feb 2006 at 8:53 AM
Tomorrow morning my 360 will arrive in my hands. I already have Dead or Alive 4, Project Gotham Racing 3, Perfect Dark 0, Kameo: Elements of Power and Tony Hawk's American Wasteland. Got sick of waiting for the Australian release date and had one imported from the UK.

Got a nice big HD TV all set to go... can't wait.

Scholar
#38 Old 16th Feb 2006 at 1:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElPresidente
Tomorrow morning my 360 will arrive in my hands. I already have Dead or Alive 4, Project Gotham Racing 3, Perfect Dark 0, Kameo: Elements of Power and Tony Hawk's American Wasteland. Got sick of waiting for the Australian release date and had one imported from the UK.

Got a nice big HD TV all set to go... can't wait.

As long as there are no regional issues.....I have to admit, except for Tony Hawk, I think you've made some excellent choices for titles there, ElPrez.

Please let us know how Perfect Dark Zero is. I have to debate between getting that, or Over G, which reportedly comes out in a month.

(only has PGR3 and DOA4 since he bought his Xbox 360 a few weeks ago).

retired moderator
#39 Old 16th Feb 2006 at 4:12 PM
There is no region coding (ala DVDs) on the 360. It is just the standard video signal division that consoles have been restricted by since the beginning. Australia and the UK both use PAL (The US is NTSC and Japan is NTSC-J) so there are no concerns regarding compatability.

In addition the 360 has more multi-signal games than any other console. Titles like DOA4 and Tony Hawk will actually run on any 360 console regardless if it is a PAL, NTSC or NTSC-J version.

Can't wait.

And bah to your Tony Hawk comment. :P

The housemate and I and both fairly high end players of Tony Hawk so it was important there was one on the new system because I need to kick his arse. He is about twice my width and mostly muscle so there aint much I can kick his arse at. :P

Scholar
#40 Old 16th Feb 2006 at 10:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElPresidente
There is no region coding (ala DVDs) on the 360. It is just the standard video signal division that consoles have been restricted by since the beginning. Australia and the UK both use PAL (The US is NTSC and Japan is NTSC-J) so there are no concerns regarding compatability.

In addition the 360 has more multi-signal games than any other console. Titles like DOA4 and Tony Hawk will actually run on any 360 console regardless if it is a PAL, NTSC or NTSC-J version.

Can't wait.

And bah to your Tony Hawk comment. :P

The housemate and I and both fairly high end players of Tony Hawk so it was important there was one on the new system because I need to kick his arse. He is about twice my width and mostly muscle so there aint much I can kick his arse at. :P

I thought Australia used the same system as Japan, for some reason, so I stand corrected. Except for the whole "Tony Hawk" thing, heh.

Again, I'm excited about Over G. Finally, a vaguely realistic flight sim on the consoles. Flight sims, with the exception of those during the GPW, seem to be dying on PC. Very sad.

Well, at least there will always be Flight Simulator.

#41 Old 16th Feb 2006 at 10:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sims2germany
I go by personal' comparison, PS2 was a nightmare - scratched discs. At €40-€50 a pop for a game and no reimbursement from Sony,(With a Recall in effect at the time.), I was not happy. After having the PS2 "Fixed", it did the same thing in 6 mths. time - Warranty over, my' Son was very upset!
Rather than repurchase a PS2, I bought him' an X-Box instead....no problems, online gaming and no horrific scratching noises when the disc is spinning.
PS3? Bwahahaha! No thank you.
360 in September, (Have to wait for his' Birthday )

That's the same thing that happened to my PS2! I also want to get an Xbox 360! :smash: Stupid Scraching!
Scholar
#42 Old 17th Feb 2006 at 4:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by I_likeup@S2C
That's the same thing that happened to my PS2! I also want to get an Xbox 360! :smash: Stupid Scraching!

I normally don't step in defense of Sony...however, I do believe that Sony will have learned from the scratched disc problems of the PS2....of course, then there's the new Blu-Ray format.

360s, contrary to popular opinion, do not suffer from many actual hardware defects, so much as "flaws"--the power supplies are vulnerable to overheating, which caused about 90% of failures, of not more. Just put it in a well-ventilated area, and you'll be fine.

Microsoft has a lot of experience with bugs, I think we'll all agree.

#43 Old 19th Feb 2006 at 2:55 AM
Oh, yea Synthesis, there is really no bugs with the 360. Just a myth.
GameInFormer lied to us. :P
To prove: My Class mate :bump:
Scholar
#44 Old 19th Feb 2006 at 6:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by I_likeup@S2C
Oh, yea Synthesis, there is really no bugs with the 360. Just a myth.
GameInFormer lied to us. :P
To prove: My Class mate :bump:

Hey, I never said there were "no bugs"....nothing is perfect.

I simply said that, contrary to popular belief, there isn't a 50-50 chance that a 360 will fail. It's much, much smaller, and most of the time, it can be fixed by some simple actions--so, it's not so much a "bug" as it is an error on the users part.

For example, did your "classmate" keep his/her power supply ventilated? Is the AV cable set to TV, not HDTV (assuming it's not plugged into an HDTV). Is it plugged in all the way? A lot of people returned their 360s because they thought there was actually some sort of design problem--it never dawned on them that they might have actually made mistake.

I had the same problem too. Then I actually read the manual (how many people still do that?) and was able to solve it. I had to set it to 'TV'.

Besides, you should know better than to trust everything you read in a gaming magazine...no offense to ElPresidente.

Field Researcher
#45 Old 19th Feb 2006 at 9:47 AM
im not getting either i do not like xbox 360 but ps3 is ok but im getting a revolution its the only one with new gameplay and new ideas! plus im a nintendo fan
Inventor
#46 Old 19th Feb 2006 at 2:57 PM
Riotmaker, you do understand that Nintendo will soon be obsolete?
Scholar
#47 Old 19th Feb 2006 at 4:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mod_bv

Now, that's a bit harsh.

Worse case scenario (from a Nintendo perspective) is that they take on the role of Sega, developing software and peripherals.

Lab Assistant
#48 Old 19th Feb 2006 at 4:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mod_bv

They will fall back onto the handhelds.

If further bankrupt, 6th gen Pokemon on an xbox 360 lol.
Inventor
#49 Old 19th Feb 2006 at 7:21 PM
Yes, I know it's harsh, but that's life, buddy.

Seriously, Nintendo will stick to the Game Boy and DS after it fails and dies. And then it will fail and die even more. And then it will file for bankruptcy. This is the short timeline:

2000/2001 - The pillars of Nintendo are starting to crack under the pressure.

E3 2005: Nintendo is trying to rebuild the broken framing by making the Revolution, while everyone knows that this was the stupidest mistake a company could make.

2009: Nintendo has just anounced that they are not making a console this coming year, and are planning on ceasing development of Revolution games. They have decided to become like SEGA and only make games. What a surprise?!?
retired moderator
#50 Old 19th Feb 2006 at 9:20 PM
Guys you do realise that Nintendo are the only console developers around at the moment who don't take a loss on their consoles?

Personally I think the Rev will be their last home console but don't expect them to let go of the handheld market. There they are king and will be for sometime going on the disparity between PSP and DS sales.

Anyway I spent all weekend playing my 360 and I wubs it.

GamerTag info here...

Page 2 of 4