Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 11:36 PM
A 2nd Modest Proposal
Since Element Leaf made their *ahem* modest proposal, I figured I would make mine.

Everything I request isn't sarcastic, I would also like to ask what your thoughts are, what you might like to add, or if you like my idea. So, here goes!

My *very* modest proposal is..., what if we made a new site rule! (Yes, that is right, you heard me) <insert gasp here> A rule that will add possible new moderators, and here are a couple of ways I think we should go about doing it too!

1. Achievements: You know that very long list of achievments, such as hair stylist (made a hair mesh.) Well, if someone finished the entire list of Achievments they would become a moderator!

2. Posting: So, if someone posts a crazy amount of posts like hmm, let's say 2,500+ or something, they become a moderator.

3. Awards: We can make new awards, and if someone gets them all, they become a moderator.

4. Test: Maybe the moderators (or anyone really) can brainstorm a test that if someone passes, will allow them to become a new moderator.

5: Invite: If a moderator really thinks someones being really helpful or beneficial to the MTS community they can invite someone to become a new moderator.

6: Donation: I know this can be kind of unfair but, if someone is willing to donate a great amount of money MTS, it might be showing that they deserve a spot as a moderator.

Those are my ideas, what are yours? Any constructive/positive feedback is welcome. :D

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 11:49 PM
Unfortunately, none of those things make someone capable of being a good moderator, except possibly #4 and #5.

Being a moderator isn't a reward. It's a job. We want qualified people with the right skill set.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 12:52 AM
Yes, I know. I thought that some of those things might prove one worthy of the task/job and prove their dedication to the site. Are you a moderator Mootilda?

Mad Poster
#4 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 1:18 AM
1. No, skills of modifying a game are different than the skills required for a position in the administrations department.

2. Posting doesn't mean that the person which posted the amount of posts is qualified for the position.

3. Sounds, honestly, like a stupid idea... Sorry.

4. This one I agree on. However, only Moderators can give the test, and the test can only be given to an individual if the individual accepts the participation of the test..

5. A similar system is already setup...

6. It is unfair. Money shouldn't mean anything when it comes to how well a person can handle the moderation position..

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Site Helper
#5 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 1:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlakeS5678
Are you a moderator Mootilda?
No.

I assume that they already use #5, possibly in conjunction with #4, to choose new moderators.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 2:37 AM Last edited by maxon : 4th Nov 2011 at 3:14 AM.
Everything I request isn't sarcastic

I think that's what I enjoyed the most about Element Leaf's proposal though.

Lessee - I agree with Mootilda and Harvee:

1, Achievements - well, as has been said, being a creator (of whatever stripe) is not the same and doesn't require the same skill set as being a moderator. Some creators, while lovely makers of CC, lack social skills. Some are good social people too, of course, but the point is their ability to create stuff for the game is no indication of their ability to moderate a board. Furthermore, not everyone who makes CC will post or want to post on the social boards (by a very long way - MTS has thousands of users but there is a regular group of posters here who number, I would guess, at less than 100). If a creator hasn't been in the habit of posting regularly, why should they be interested, all of a sudden, in posting and managing threads? The funny thing about most productive creators is they are usually very busy doing other (non-sims) stuff as well - this is typical of that sort of person in my experience.

2. Posting - trolls often have high post counts. Seriously.

3. Awards - I'm not really clear what you're proposing here.

4. Test - you can do an exam to become a moderator?? Well, I think if I were appointing moderators I would be more inclined to observe how the potential moderator behaves in their general posting behaviour on the boards. I would have thought that would be a better indication of their aptitude for moderation than some test (tests are not all that - and I'm speaking as an educator here).

5: Invite - pretty sure this is what they already do. In voluntary type situations, this is generally how it works (I should know, I just got appointed as a Trustee of a small charity in exactly this way).

6: Donation - paying to become a moderator? Nah. Also, it's no.1 all over again. Just 'cos you have the cash don't mean you have the skills.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Banned
#7 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 3:53 AM
I think maxon and Peni Griffin should be moderators. Just sayin'.
Theorist
#8 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 4:53 AM Last edited by treeag : 4th Nov 2011 at 5:08 AM.
Uh no, because then I might accidentally become a moderator, and I don't think I want to become one.
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#9 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 5:13 AM
From what I've heard, there's a fight to the death involved. Very bloody and very messy. That's why admins' usernames are colored red. It's symbolic of the number of kills under their belt. Mods' usernames are green because they are considered "new" at killing.

Hmmm....I may be thinking of another Sims fansite. Carry on.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Scholar
#10 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 6:19 AM
2. Posting. If it's like what you said, 2,500+ posts, then we will have many moderators! Doubled, or tripled amount of moderators from now on, then?

Hey there! :)
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 6:59 AM
All I want is to have the title "Pancake Supervisor" because that just sounds awesome, and i guess there are no qualifications to it, just a cool status. Well that and the ability to supervise pancakes in case they start to roughhouse with the syrup. Although a test seems like a good idea, even for the one and only "Pancake Supervisor" position, which (by creating the title myself) should be bestowed on select people (me!) and people who have contributed the most to MTS. Oh, and they must be able to supervise pancakes!

Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather.

GTA V
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 9:43 AM
What's wrong with the current mods? I for one love our moderator overlords.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#13 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 11:03 AM
#5 is the way we already do it - moderators need to be people who are actually willing to help out and who have shown that they're really going to do so (not just say so, get the hat, and then sit back smugly and not do anything useful). Already having a track record of being helpful is pretty much -the- qualification for a moderator. Well, that, and we have to have a need for one in a certain area - there are places where people are helpful, but don't need additional moderation so there's no reason to promote people to do nothing. And it's a matter of attitude as well - the existing staff has to be able to get along with new staff, and if there've been conflicts with an individual that were not easily resolved through talking it out, we don't really want someone who'll be hard to work with as staff, since we have to be a team.
Scholar
#14 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 11:09 AM
I think you missed the point of the title on the original thread.

"A Modest Proposal" was a satirical essay in which Johnathan Swift proposed that we eat babies to alleviate population pressures and increase food sources. Element took the title to show that he wasn't being completely serious.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#15 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 11:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by treeag
Uh no, because then I might accidentally become a moderator, and I don't think I want to become one.

I laughed when I read this because when I was asked regarding becoming moderator I had a double response:

1) Whoa - they want me to be a moderator (feels honoured)

2) Hmm, moderator - that looks like a lot of work and commitment and I am not sure if I can deliver.

Sometimes we ask people to be moderator and because of other time commitments etc they say sorry, no can do - so it is best not to assume that X is unfairly not a moderator - maybe they don't want to be - like treeag.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Mad Poster
#16 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 11:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Oaktree
I think you missed the point of the title on the original thread.

"A Modest Proposal" was a satirical essay in which Johnathan Swift proposed that we eat babies to alleviate population pressures and increase food sources. Element took the title to show that he wasn't being completely serious.
Hey, Oaktree - thanks for explaining that!

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#17 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 3:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maybesomethingdunno
From what I've heard, there's a fight to the death involved. Very bloody and very messy. That's why admins' usernames are colored red. It's symbolic of the number of kills under their belt. Mods' usernames are green because they are considered "new" at killing.

ooo - do they sell tickets?
Quote: Originally posted by maybesomethingdunno
Hmmm....I may be thinking of another Sims fansite. Carry on.

dammit

Quote: Originally posted by 5M0K3
I think maxon and Peni Griffin should be moderators. Just sayin'.

That's really very sweet of you but I may need to slap you if an existing moderator ever notices your comment.

Quote: Originally posted by simbalena
What's wrong with the current mods? I for one love our moderator overlords.

<snark>

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Theorist
#18 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 3:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by leesester
I laughed when I read this because when I was asked regarding becoming moderator I had a double response:

1) Whoa - they want me to be a moderator (feels honoured)

2) Hmm, moderator - that looks like a lot of work and commitment and I am not sure if I can deliver.

Sometimes we ask people to be moderator and because of other time commitments etc they say sorry, no can do - so it is best not to assume that X is unfairly not a moderator - maybe they don't want to be - like treeag.

Exactly. Don't get me wrong, I'd definitely feel honored, yes, but #2 would be the reason why I don't think I'd want to be one. As a creator, I've had a taste of what it's like to be a moderator (especially the one who's in charge of the help section!) and I don't like it. I don't know how you guys do it. Kudos
Forum Resident
#19 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 12:19 AM
This proposal seems legit.
Scholar
Original Poster
#20 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 12:32 AM
After reading all of your posts, I've come to a realization, you're all right. Once you think about it, none of them make enough sense except for #4. Which some of you agree with. So, on that note, are there any of you posters that happen to have rules of your own, hmmmm. And, is it possible that #4, (as listed above) could become a new possible site rule? I know 5MOK3 has something insightful to add.

P.S. ^ Thank you Element Leaf, it's kind of ironic to see you here.

Scholar
#21 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 2:04 AM
....I'm pretty sure he was joking, brosef.

No more talk of infanticide? What's become of you all!? You've sold out dudes- lost your roots. It used to be all about the baby eating and now it's just "bleh let's just all have one big moderator orgy." Sickening, to say the least.

"You're born naked, and everything else is drag."
dA
Last.fm
tumblr
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#22 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 12:40 PM
Once you think about it, none of them make enough sense except for #4. Which some of you agree with. So, on that note, are there any of you posters that happen to have rules of your own, hmmmm. And, is it possible that #4, (as listed above) could become a new possible site rule? I know 5MOK3 has something insightful to add.

You know that the site owner gets to make the rules, right? So you'll have to own the site to get that privilege. Also, what you're asking is that we let you in on the secret to what the moderators get up to, how they get chosen and what the staff office looks like. Which we're not going to show you. At all. Because, it's full of underwear.

And also, we like to retain an air of mystery.
*simsample tries to look mysterious*
Banned
#23 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 5:58 PM
Oh I'll add something "insightful" alright.

I like maybesomethingdunno's idea of umm, fighting to the death.

Oh and might I also add, J. M. Pescado has already allowed us to eat babies. http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=316764