Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Oct 2007 at 5:22 PM
Glass parts
Is there anyway to add a glass component to a mesh/package that doesnt already have one?

I have tried various ways but either end up with a still solid object or part of the object not showing up at all

FifthAce2007

My Sims 2 creations are no longer supported. Regardless of what the individual post says, feel free to clone, recolour, chuck on a bonfire or mix in a blender! Just credit me/this site with the upload, and upload here only, thanks
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 9th Oct 2007 at 5:32 PM
Yup. You need to adjust the subset in the Material Definition.

1. Go to stdMatAlphaBlendMode and change to blend.
2. If you do not have these values, then add them:

name: stdMatEnvCubeMode
value: reflection
name: stdMatEnvCubeTextureName
value: reflectionkitchenhighcontrast-envcube

Then you can add a transparent texture. Or if you are defining the color in the mat def file, you need to go to stdMatUntexturedDiffAlpha and change the value. The lower the number, the more transparent it is. 0= invisible, 1= solid. Try .5 or .6 to start with. You might need to mess with this anyway, even with a texture, I cannot honestly remember.

Cogito ergo nupta non sum.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Oct 2007 at 11:19 PM
Thats pretty much what I have been doing, but the problem I am facing is:

I have the corner section of a kitchen unit, and it only has two groups; the counter and the unit itself, all the other units in the same set has three parts, the counter, the unit and a glass part.

What I did was to split the counter into two seperate pieces, group the one with the counter group and the other with the glass group already there, problem with the corner piece is it doesnt already have a glass component, only the two groups, and what I need is to be able to add a third group to the corner mesh, then I can make it into a glass part to match the rest of the counters...

...dunno if I explained that very well

FifthAce2007

My Sims 2 creations are no longer supported. Regardless of what the individual post says, feel free to clone, recolour, chuck on a bonfire or mix in a blender! Just credit me/this site with the upload, and upload here only, thanks
Instructor
#4 Old 10th Oct 2007 at 3:01 PM
Hmmm, kitchens are tricky. The only thing I could possibly suggest to fix the corner part is to make a texture that has the counter part and a transparent part for the unit. Then it won't matter that there are only two parts. You would texture everything in the same texture. Does that make sense?

You might want to post your file here so I or someone else could look at it.

Cogito ergo nupta non sum.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Oct 2007 at 5:08 PM
I see what you are saying, but everything already is mapped to a single texture, the whole unit set. I could easily change ONE of the group's values in SimPE to make it show as a glass component, i.e. the counter surface, that would be fine if I wanted the whole surface to be glass, but only part of it needs to be glass...

I have attached the completed set, what I have done with it is to darken the glass parts to a smokey black glass, and kinda 'cheated' with the texture for the corner piece, same with the sink part, to make it look as close to the actual glass parts as possible, without them actually being made glass.

Quote:
Note to self: Be better at explaining things, cos that above is a mouthfull

It didnt end up too bad, only if you look very closely can you tell it's not glass in the corner. I would have preferred it to be glass tho, but unless you know that it isnt, you wouldnt be able to tell really.

Problem is, I know

I did try putting a screenshot on to save you having to use the item in-game to see what I mean, but you couldnt really tell from the screenshot what I am referring to, must have done a better job with the texture than I thought
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Modenna Kitchen Suite.rar (813.1 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content

FifthAce2007

Mad Poster
#6 Old 14th Oct 2007 at 3:55 AM
may try to make an additional standalone object for the glass piece, but the pay back is that users have to add a glass piece object everytime they do so.''

but, adding a third subset which is not recolourable may sounds better still.
I tend to think you may find more helps in this subforum.
http://www.modthesims2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=114
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#7 Old 14th Oct 2007 at 4:13 AM
Good point niol, moving there now.